Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 7117 Maintenance

mcd

I just recently acquired a Simplicity 7117. It starts up instantly almost everytime. I know this is a solid tractor but I don't think it received it's regular maintenance over the years. What would you guys recommend I do immediately to make sure this thing stays running well down the road? Also, are there any DIY write ups on the forums for regular maintenance? Thanks a bunch.

P.S.

I'm brand new to working on this thing. Explain like I'm 5 :)

Change engine oil first .( summer 30sew ,winter 10w 30 )

Then do the tranny and filter , use type F tranny fluids , Filter Napa 1307 .

Air filter /gas filter / sparkplugs , and grease it .

A photo will make us happy here sm06

Edited by a_sannine

Welcome to the club, the guys have pretty much covered everything

Edited by 720nut

Welcome!  And in agreement with the above:  Fluids and filters, and although a bit of work, pull the engine (20 minutes), pull the tins and clean the fins and everything else of grunge and debris.  Reinstall and good to go......

• Like 1

May want to install a fuel shutoff valve ...along with gas line filter. Also replace pre filter on the air filter if you don't have one...it's  the green color foam filter that slides over the air filter element. 

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies guys! I haven't checked the site since last weekend so I'm sorry for the delayed reply. I will hop on the fluids changes ASAP. Am I okay to use Mobil 1 fluids or should I be looking for a specific brand?

Here's a picture after a cleaned it up a bit. I might repaint it over the winter.

aaaaaa.jpg

Not to start the oil discussion again.............But 

I would use a full synthetic high zinc small engine oil.  Although Mobil 1 is a very good oil & I used it for years, the zinc-dialkyl-dithiophosphate (ZDDP) content is almost non existent.

ZDDP is very beneficial of any flat tappet lifter engines for anti wear.  Ask anyone owning a classic car or qualified engine builder.

Toro & Amsoil make excellent high zinc, full-synthetic small engine oils if running synthetic is your preference.

It has been said that oil opinions are like belly buttons & that is very true.  Check out a snowmobile forum sometime on the topic.  47 pages of more scientific facts than there are scientific facts.

Bottom line - Oil is cheap no matter how expensive it is compared to rebuilding an engine.  Use good oil & change it & all filters regularly (Hydro filter just change now & you won't have to do it for years). Grease all the zerks.  Run NON-ETHANOL fuel!!!  Keep the engine clean as well.  If you've never had the engine out, take it out, remove all shrouds & flywheel & clean it.  You won't believe how dirty it is.

I ordered Toro Synthetic fluid, F type tranny fluid and the Napa 1307 filter. 

Where do I find out which air filter, "pre" filter, fuel filter and spark plugs I would need? I have the parts manual but it doesn't like any of those (from what I can see).

Spark Plugs - Champion RV17YC

Dual Element Air Filter - Kohler 45 883 02-S1

Fuel Filter - Kohler 25 050 22-S1

Oil Filter - Kohler 52 050 02-S1 (If you have the oil filter adapter)

Kohler Oil Filter Adapter - Kohler 82 755 23-S 

Kohler Oil Filter Adapter Gasket - Kohler 52 041 16-S

If the adapter is not currently installed & you are looking to purchase one, you would need to check your engine to verify it is a KT Series-2 engine that currently has a rectangular block-off plate attached with two Allen Head cap screws on the crankcase, just forward of the cylinder on the right hand side of the tractor as you are sitting on it.

There are always some adapters on eBay.  It is the same for the KT17 Series-2, KT19 Series-2, M18 & M20 engines.  You will need to notch about 1/4" off the vertical aspect of the frame for filter clearance.  Several of us have done this & it will add 8oz more oil capacity.

Edited by ShaunE

On 7/13/2017 at 2:10 PM, ShaunE said:

Spark Plugs - Champion RV17YC

Dual Element Air Filter - Kohler 45 883 02-S1

Fuel Filter - Kohler 25 050 22-S1

Oil Filter - Kohler 52 050 02-S1 (If you have the oil filter adapter)

Kohler Oil Filter Adapter - Kohler 82 755 23-S 

Kohler Oil Filter Adapter Gasket - Kohler 52 041 16-S

If the adapter is not currently installed & you are looking to purchase one, you would need to check your engine to verify it is a KT Series-2 engine that currently has a rectangular block-off plate attached with two Allen Head cap screws on the crankcase, just forward of the cylinder on the right hand side of the tractor as you are sitting on it.

There are always some adapters on eBay.  It is the same for the KT17 Series-2, KT19 Series-2, M18 & M20 engines.  You will need to notch about 1/4" off the vertical aspect of the frame for filter clearance.  Several of us have done this & it will add 8oz more oil capacity.

ShaunE- you da real MVP! This is veryyy helpful. Thank you!

I changed the oil and the transmission fluid last night. Grease gun, spark plugs, air filter and fuel filter will be arriving tomorrow.

How do I change the spark plugs(s)? I know it's a pretty simple task but I believe the plug must be set to a specific setting depending on the engine.

I think the gap setting is .025 on the plugs. These plugs are a little smaller diameter then the regular plugs so you may need to use a smaller diameter  deep socket to remove them unless you have a smaller size plug socket.

20 hours ago, mcd said:

I changed the oil and the transmission fluid last night. Grease gun, spark plugs, air filter and fuel filter will be arriving tomorrow.

How do I change the spark plugs(s)? I know it's a pretty simple task but I believe the plug must be set to a specific setting depending on the engine.

Torque  plugs to 145 inch LB.

Gap to 0.25

Edited by a_sannine