Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Onan BF engine

Bahmi

I'm looking at a photo of a tractor with the Onan BF engine. This engine is at least 40 years old, and being Onan, spare parts must be very difficult to obtain.

Is it worth buying a tractor with this engine in it, or is it best to leave it alone?  If parts are available, I'd wager they were stratospheric in cost.

What make of tractor? Parts for the engine, if any are needed, may or may not be made of unobtainium. If it is a rare tractor and it needs engine work it might still be worth getting. Worrying about engine parts before you even have the tractor or know if it needs work is not a concern generally for me.....Dave 

9 hours ago, 720nut said:

Concerns on engine have never been a concern till after I've purchased said tractor. Just my $.02

The engine is the heart of the tractor. My first Simplicity tractor was a 7018 with the Kohler single cylinder CI 18HP engine. After the purchase, I found out the engine is known for cylinder head issues related to cooling, i.e. valve seats, guides and head warpage. Replaced it with a Kohler CI 16HP. Second tractor purchased brand new 2000 Sovereign with the infamous Triad. I have made numerous durability improvements but continue to have issues. With only 500 hours, I have become tired of babysitting it. It is going to be replaced with a new Command at a cost of $2500. With my experiences, I suggest you investigate first.