Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Power steering install...bolts on cylinder

rich_kildow

I'm FINALLY getting around to installing the power steering on my 7122 with Rays kit and parts from a donor Sunstar.  Everything is going smooth but I'm having some problems figuring out how to mount the cylinder.  

The holes on the cylinder ram are 3/4 in front and 5/8 at the fixed end.  The holes in Rays parts are 1/2 at the floorboard mount and 5/8 up front.  Both appear to have enough room to drill the holes out to the size to make them bolt to the ram directly.  

The bolts that came with my ram would fit if I drilled them out and it has the spacer to lift the ram up from the steering arm.  Am I missing something with installing Sunstar parts onto a large frame that should have me going in another direction, or am I on the right track getting out the big drill bits?

Here they are.  I don't see any reason not to just drill Rays parts out.  Otherwise I'd be running undersized mounting bolts with a spacer to fill the gap between the mounting bolt and cylinder end.  I'd need to find a 1/2"ID - 5/8" OD one and a 5/8" ID - 3/4" OD spacer.  

I don't think I'd be drilling to the point that there would be to little metal around the holes.

20170712_153406.jpg

20170712_153412.jpg

I'd ask Ray if he has "special" studs he uses for the connections.

The OEM parts have the "bolts" welded to the bracket assembly and steering arm:

SpoolPS_Parts_List.JPG.9fb435818a722ca40a34997be3d15765.JPG

Bracket_Assembly.jpg.6a3862ee4e868d0c28d76ec917eabedc.jpg

Steering_Arm.JPG.51641b7d0d0ea56c4ed487623e6db27c.JPG

Diameters are the same as the SunStar based on the retaining clips parts info.

Thanks for the response.  I have a PM off to Ray.

I found parts diagrams for Sunstars with the style that PhanDad showed, which is the same as the large frame kit, as well as ones showing what I have.  These parts are off a Sunstar but came with those bolts, so I'm guessing it is more of a system like this:

https://az417944.vo.msecnd.net/diagrams/manufacturer/simplicity/agco/garden-tractors/1900-series/1691020-1920h-20hp-ultima/steering-group-power/diagram.gif

I measured everything out and those bolts will work if the holes are drilled out.  Even the spacer that comes on the system linked above is the same on included in the large frame power steering kit.  

Edited by rich_kildow

I went digging back through e-mails and PM's and Ray mentioned that I needed to get my hands on 2 shoulder bolts, part numbers 91259A839 & 91259A796.  The first is a 3/4" shoulder and 5/8" thread, the second is a 5/8" shoulder, 1/2" thread, which will take care of these nicely.

I was hoping to have it done this evening but I blew it on this one and forgot to get those parts in advance like he told me.  I'm hoping Fastenal will have them in the morning.