• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

New Member List & Member Map   02/12/2017

Implemented both a new Member List and Member Map.  See News & Announcements for more details.
    • Kent

Chat Room is down   05/06/2017

IPS has just discontinued their built-in chat on May 1st.  I am still testing alternatives that will integrate cleanly.  Sorry for the disruption!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmilinSam

Tractor of the Month: Septembert 2017

7 posts in this topic

Tractor of the Month Contest

September 2017
This months contest will be :

"The Last ToM contest"

Due to dwindling entries and apparent lack of general interest in the monthly contests, this will be the last ToM contest for a while.

"Anything Simplicity or Allis Chalmers related"

Show us your machinery, whatever it is, and give us its story

Contest limited to the first 20 entries

Voters will choose the best overall entry and its presentation

Open to
All brands as long as the majority pictured is made by Simplicity and/or Allis Chalmers

Please Note:

All pictures submitted to Tractor of the Month contests should be sized to 640x480 to maintain consistency and neatness in presentation

Also: If contest criteria calls for multiple tractors, please put all the tractors in one picture, rather than posting a series of pictures showing individual tractors. Its the only way to get all your winning equipment, for such a contest, in the picture on the Club home page

Tractor of the month contest guidelines

1. For club members and registered users, or those who have access to use the Show and Tell forum. This also includes all officers, moderators, and administrators.

2. The selection committee will determine each monthly contests criteria. Equipment that does not meet theme criteria will be disqualified by the committee and removed from the submission topic.

3. The tractors submitted can be a restoration, an original, a rescue, a modification, an extensive repair/rebuild - or as specified by the committee.

4. This contest is open for owners to enter their own tractors, or by having someone else nominate them - upon which owner must accept and post entry.

5. The contest is limited to the first 20 entries submitted. This due to the poll system only being able to accommodate 20 entries. Following the 20th entry, the contest topic will be closed to further entries. Votes will be taken in the normal time frame as stated below.

6. Post your entry as a reply to this topic. Narrative and pictures are required - This to tell its story, and to convince voters why it is deserving of being the next Club's tractor of the month.

7. You can enter a tractor/equipment multiple times (months), but it can only win once per year. Once that tractor has won, you cannot submit that tractor again for a year on any subject.

8. Each contest will have a entry submission period beginning the 15th day of each month and lasting to the 15th day of the following month. Once the submission period is over, the current nomination topic will be locked and the next opened.

9.Following each months submission period, a poll topic will then be opened and members will be asked to vote on the nicest tractor listed in the nomination topic. All members and registered users are eligible to vote. Vote will last for a period of two weeks , from the 15th day of month to the last day of each month. The new winner will be declared on the 1st of each month.

10. Wining tractors each month will be posted on the club home page for a period of one month, 1st day of the month to the last day of the month, and a Contest winners hat will be sent to the winner.

11. Please post only entries/nominees in this topic -- any other replies will be deleted.

12. All pictures submitted should be sized to 640x480 to maintain consistency and neatness in presentation. If contest criteria calls for multiple tractors, please put all the tractors in one picture, rather than posting a series of pictures showing individual tractors. Its the only way to get all your winning equipment, for such a contest, in the picture on the Club home page

13. Final vote results will be posted to Poll topic at the time the Poll topic is closed. These posted results are the official, and FINAL results that will determine the winner each month regardless of any further votes cast After the polls have been closed. This is stated because while replies cannot be made after a poll topic is closed, apparently votes can continue to be cast. Its a technical issue that we have to work around at the present time.

14. In the event of a tie, the following procedure will be in effect. The tied winners will share having their pictures posted on the Club home page, each having an equal amount of the months time in the spotlight. There will only be one hat awarded though, and so there will be a run-off vote between the tied members for the hat. This vote will last 2 weeks. The winner of this second run-off vote will receive the winners hat.

If a tied winner has already won a contest and a hat, the hat for the tied contest will automatically be given to other tied winner who has not won one yet.

Posted (edited)

I'll open it up with my humble 4108.

P7130484.JPG.b443d9688a77dcc5d00085e3f6e18fc6.JPG

P7130487.JPG.116eec7b7c8fd04b8d2e21696e93ee4b.JPG

The story of my getting any riding mower begins with my buying a rental property about a mile from my house with about 1/3 acre of lawn. I got an old sears mower that worked but was not a long term solution. I picked up 3 Broadmoors in 2 transactions and cut the grass collectively twice with them, but the motors need rebuilding. As we "speak" there are engine parts scattered all over my basement awaiting me to finish the rebuilds I started over a year ago. I saved this from a scraper for $80, delivered. The engine needed some love, but in short order it replaced the "ole Grey Mare" from Sears. It was meant as a bridge tractor until I got the Broadmoors reliable. I've added wheel weights and loaded the back tires, making her nearly unstoppable. In addition to lawn cutting, I moved a mountain of dirt down the hill in endless trips with a utility trailer. It is well built and reliable. It will get replaced as a No. 1 goto tractor, but I will most likely keep it as a backup, just in case. She's been very good to me and she deserves better than to be tossed aside. Thanx, Dave

Edited by dhoadley
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

AC Bumblebee 10 I never intended to keep. I responded to an ad for a b10 for sale in Illinois, not far from St Louis. I made the 2.5hr trip in 3.5+ because I must have not listened to directions, wrote them down wrong, or who knows what. When I finally arrived I found a well worn Bumblebee 10 that looked like it had seen its better days some time ago. It did have a recent engine overhaul. 

Bee10.jpg.3d72773341a4f0ffd4e86bf616289786.jpgBee10c.jpg.ca244f6a08d45ed46e0a88c6344180a4.jpg

After looking it over I really wasn't interested. Too much work to get her back into shape. However, owner really wanted her gone and asked me to make an offer. You know how that goes. I headed home with her loaded wondering just how foolish I was this time. I was going through a divorce at the time and needed a project to keep occupied so this fit the bill. I brought it home and found all moving joints well worn, almost as if this tractor had worked its life in a sandbox. Luckily I had most spare parts on the shelf so I tore it completely down, stripped, cleaned, painted and reassembled adding used parts along the way to improve her. 

5975169792387_frameprepaint.jpg.af67c2091d2f9c6c87e9cbab3b765cf5.jpgIMG_1469.thumb.JPG.3ff1ae28260844bf436bc84f41bef49d.JPGIMG_1470.thumb.JPG.f555d3cf4d9c19bf0574866a71b22a62.JPGengine.jpg.fd7d9f1b3b951ae5d71e2761f001bbaf.jpgIMG_1459.thumb.JPG.204bca8b85e563125c8559657edc0b0b.JPGpaint.1.jpg.f1e997af03465a775b46087996e7bb49.jpgIMG_1464.thumb.JPG.45b21a3f8ff1fb96a0e7cc699a5a7d80.JPGIMG_1465.thumb.JPG.412db755b369caa591fea99164d0b44e.JPGIMG_1462.thumb.JPG.2f86ca7b7325e0167d9c1802565055bb.JPG

This is a picture of the finished product. I confirmed the engine had been recently overhauled, aded a NovaII trigger to the Briggs engine, and here is how she looked at reassembly. 

bb10.1.jpg.2b4a72e90fc758626dc3bd665820c213.jpgbb10.2.jpg.e8906990ce9cd0a64e3a8eddaa0f521b.jpg

I started using the Bumblebee 10 for different projects including mowing grass, moldboard plowing with brinly 10", grading topsoil w/belly blade,

DSC00467.thumb.JPG.8783819e9879cc1a4c73481747620a0a.JPG

and cutting weeds around our acreage and with the Colfax front mounted mower. 

DSC1162.jpg.25b6241650dafdc43757277782824165.jpg

Because I have been through every part of this little tractor I know its capable. AC generator and belly blade mounted.  

5975165e62de6_acgenerator.jpg.455b3841535367c46fc2daceb82b424f.jpg

It now sports bar tires on the rear and tri ribs on the front. 

IMG_0281.thumb.JPG.32f2d7ff9543a98c2989cfaff99951b2.JPG

Edited by gwiseman
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I will submit my two working tractors, both of which came to me in very different ways.  The pictures are of the two of them side by side.

My summer lawn mowing tractor is the Yeoman 627.  This tractor came to me complete and ready to work.  All I did was bolt on the wheel weights.  It came thru a trade with Josh (Talntedmrgreen) who was interested in an Allis Chalmers B207E that I had.  We swapped the tractors even up, and then I bought a front blade from him for the 627.  This one was easy.

My snowblowing, snowplowing, tilling, and moldboard plowing tractor is the Allis Chalmers T816.  I got this one up in Appleton, Wisconsin (before the move to Iowa) for $100 from a guy whose grandfather had bought it for a project, but he had gotten sick and eventually passed on without ever working on it.  Tires were flat, steering almost unmovable, Vari-drive locked up tight, non running engine, and the top of the hood was total rust from them storing a bag of fertilizer or something on it.  I had a worn-out 16 hp briggs at home, and a friend of mine sold me a good shortblock for $25.  I used parts from all three to make a running engine.  I sanded, masked, and repainted the hood and cleaned up the rest, which looked really pretty good considering it's treatment.  Tubed the tires and got the steering loosened up.  I was surprised to find that the vari-drive was in good shape once it was cleaned up and adjusted.  Over the years, I picked up a sleeve hitch (thanks, Marks-AC), a tiller, a 42 inch snowblower and hitch, a spare hitch at a tractor show ($10 with a good simplicity belt on it!), and the 10 inch moldboard plow.  This has been my working tractor for everything but grass mowing for many years.  Unfortunately, my pieced together engine was getting really tired.  So last year, it got a transplant (the other two pictures) with a 19.5 hp that came out of a crapsman (thanks, Bear).  It runs nice, but I am considering changing the top tin so the crapsman label disappears (kind of embarassing).  I have other tractors, with the latest being an Agco Allis 918H which will become my snowblowing tractor this fall. I want to keep the hours down on the T816 and maybe do a complete repaint on it someday, but for now, these two carry the load.  The T816 stays dressed for winter all year round, in case you were thinking we have snow here in Iowa in July (102 degrees last Friday)!

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

Edited by steve-wis
can't spell right
3 people like this

My fleet pictured before loading some up for a tractor show.

It all started quite a few years ago with the purchase of a 1952 Allis CA, with considerable "no, you don't need it" comments from my wife before the purchase. (we live on 1 acre of land).

Cleaned and rattle canned it (15cans) and took it to a local show that fall.  Then our daughter and son in law were lamenting a couple of years later that they couldn't afford any of the quotes they received for putting a trail in around their 10 acre wooded property = found the Allis 180 gas with loader, and we put in a trail.

While working near the end of the trail, was looking on Craigslist one night and saw the B207 listed an hour and a half further northwest of our kids house. Owner said had been in the same family since bought new from an uncle that was a new car dealer for Pontiac and AC lawn and garden tractors, and had all the original brochures that his father got when he purchased it in 1968 when the advertiser was a little kid. Quite dirty, and with flaws. I cleaned it up considerably, and put a coat of wax on it. It is a survivor= no paint etc for this one!

The first 620 I had to go to TN. for as I needed a bigger lawn mower for my large "acreage"-dear wife didn't think I needed it at all. ( she is often correct), "but it cuts 5' at a time" I whined, and has the same profile as my180 and B207. My son in law now has my180 digging a turtle pond for my granddaughters, so on a below 0 day last winter I drove 5 hours away to get the ratty looking 720 with loader. LOTS of warts, but is usable. 

I AM AN ALLIS ADDICT - don't think there's a cure!20170411_111759.thumb.jpg.9e72e622faba0c037d6031113c88f3d4.jpg

4 people like this

Not a lot of dialog but here we are , would take me several pages to explain each and everyone of them.

720,620, Simplicity Soveriegn, 916 Allis, B110 w/broom, B 110 work clothes, restored B 110, restored B 207 , Simplicty 2516

DSCN1551.JPG

DSCN1552.JPG

5 people like this

Vote is now closed.

Results at time of closing were:

• dhoadley and his 4108

• gwiseman and his B-10

• steve-wis and his 627 & 816

• macallis180 and his fleet

• 720nut and his fleet

Tie vote, joint winner, congratulations to gwiseman and steve_wis