Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 7117 Idler Pulley Replacement

mcd

My rear pulley (the one behind the idler - not sure of the name) had slid towards the front of the tractor and rubbed off the outside lip of my idler pulley. Because of this my belt kept slipping off. I purchased a replacement (1685144SM) but after receiving it I discovered the replacement is a good 0.5" smaller in diameter than the idler pulley I have on there now. 

Did I order the wrong pulley/part #? Will this smaller pulley still work or should I return it and look for a new one? 

Here is the link to the one I ordered as well as a picture of the old pulley next to the new pulley. Thank you guys! You are awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/Stens-280-420-Heavy-Duty-Simplicity-1685144SM/dp/B001OK4GP0

pulley.jpg

Check the IPL, I think you have the wrong P/N. According to my IPL the (2) PTO pulley P/Ns are 1606554SM and 1665440SM, not 1685144SM.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bill725 said:

Check the IPL, I think you have the wrong P/N. According to my IPL the (2) PTO pulley P/Ns are 1606554SM and 1665440SM, not 1685144SM.

What is the IPL? Sorry for my ignorance. Also, could I go to tractor supply and find a pulley that would work or does it have to be the exact specifics of the correct part#?

IPL = Illustrated Parts List

IMO, if you can find a pulley with about the same dimensions, you'd be OK.  If you go bigger or smaller in diameter, you won't be able to tension the belt "in the green" or if you do, you'll be at the end of the pulley travel and might not be able to adjust as the belt slowly stretches.

If I remember correctly, this is a hard pulley to match up with a generic pulley.

Thanks PhanDad. I found a used pulley on eBay. Idk why I was thinking the one I ordered originally was the right one. I looked at the parts manual but must have been looking at the wrong page.

7 hours ago, PhanDad said:

IPL = Illustrated Parts List

IMO, if you can find a pulley with about the same dimensions, you'd be OK.  If you go bigger or smaller in diameter, you won't be able to tension the belt "in the green" or if you do, you'll be at the end of the pulley travel and might not be able to adjust as the belt slowly stretches.

If I remember correctly, this is a hard pulley to match up with a generic pulley.

For that they hit u with  $55

55 minutes ago, a_sannine said:

For that they hit u with  $55

I found a used one on eBay for $20 shipped. Figured it doesn't matter if it's shiny or not as long as it is the right size and it spins.