Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ammeters

Dadsy98

My Big 10 has the original ammeter and it's +- 10 amps. It pegs every time I start the tractor for a minute or two with no ill effects whatever. Most of these meters have a massive shunt on them and can withstand big overlaods without problems. +- 20 amps would be plenty on any garden tractor. Ron

At least on the 7xx series of AC tractors, they just use a normal two terminal ampmeter. Can get 'em from NAPA and other auto parts stores.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

My AC312 has an ammeter that reads +45 to -45. The alternator is only a 15 amp unit. It's hard to tell if the battery is charging or discharging because of the small deflection on the meter. Does anybody know of a Replacement meter that would fit this tractor and have a 20 amp scale? Steve

I am not sure that you would want to do that as you can pull more than 20 from you battery. If you have something that pulls more than the meter would register you will ruin the gage. I put a volt meter on my 2110 so I can watch the volts, it runs nearly 14 when charging and slightly less than 12 when not. Something to think about. sek

I like idiot lights, don't have to think too much. Voltage meter and specific gravity checking will tell you more than an ammeter...A digital meter would be even better..MadManX

I use a 15 amp fuse in my battery/ammeter ciruit. That way I protect the meter and my new wiring. I prefer an analog gauge with a center zero reference so I can tell at a glance what's happening. If they would make a digital gauge that would change colors for +/- that would be cool. Most all of the ammeters I've seen are just two terminal units. I looked around at the sponsors sites and was surprised not to find ammeters more available, hour meters galore but I have a fuel tank that serves that purpose. I think an auto parts place will be my next stop. Thanks to all ! Steve