Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

17hp Kawasaki engine from Deere

fishnwiz

Anyone here know anything about these motors (87 -90) 

I bought one in a 185 and the darn thing ran awesome after sitting for 2 years.Oil pressurized system. Interesting voice and cadence on these motors when compared to the Briggs singles ..Never owned or ran one before.

Edited by fishnwiz

I have always heard they were/are fantastic. I think they used it in one of the mid to late 90's landlord models too.

I've got a JD GT262 1993 model with the single 17 HP Kawi, great tractor, the Kawi runs flawless. When I bought my Zero turn a few years ago, they came with, Kohlers,  Briggs, Hondas, and Kawasakis, the Kawi was the deciding factor. My local Simplicity dealers small engine mechanic, with over 40 years in the business told me he thinks the Kawasaki are the best small engine built for the last 30 years.

They do make horizontals, I've seen two used as replacements in Sovs, one was for a command, the other was for a triad.

14 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

Wow

That's some statement.  Too bad they don't make a horizontal. 

14 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

Wow

That's some statement.  Too bad they don't make a horizontal. 

Unfortunately I was told just the opposite when I was buying my mowers so goes to show it's all in what a man likes and possibly what model in question.

I am however interested in knowing how it all works out if you decide  to go this route.   Just my $.02

I have a 5.5hp Kawasaki, on my 1993 John Deere 14SB, walk behind mower.  Bought this unit new with the optional oil filter kit installed.  Never have had any problem with this engine.  Still runs exceptionally well.  One or two pulls of the rope and it's running.

Always heard that the bigger Kawasaki's are just as good.

The Legacy XL & a few Deere 400 series for starters.

Liquid cooled & smooth...

Can only get a new Legacy XL with a Vanguard as of 2017.  They dropped the liquid Kawasaki & the diesel.

I heard the reason for dropping the diesel was because of the tier 4 emission requirements for diesels.  I also heard they were working with Yanmar for a tier 4 compliant diesel for the future.  We shall see.....

Edited by ShaunE
Because
  • Like 1