Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3310V Left Wheel Drives Right Does Not Drive

Bigkahuna427

I have a 3310V that I was going to use for parts but too much stuff I needed did not fit my other tractors.   So I have been working on all of it's little gremlins and have it running.   The next issue is the right wheel (differential side) just free wheels left wheel drive only.   I would think if it was a differential problem neither wheel would drive.   I have spoken with a guy local to me who has owned a bunch of these and said it might be some kind of setting?   Anyone have experience with this issue?

If the LH wheel is powered but the RH wheel is not, then you are correct the issue is in the differential area. First confirm if the RH wheel hub has (2) angled hub bolts on the outer side. This would be an older style hub which I think a 3310V did not come with originally, but the transaxle may have been replaced with an older style. If your hub has the bolts, then tighten them. If that does not cue the issue or if your hub does not have the angled bolts (newer style), then remove the RH hub. Older style hubs also had roll pins between the gear and the hub which would shear. New style hubs do not have roll pins. If you do not find the issue after that, then let us know and we will dig deeper.

Well here he is.  The boys call this one Ugly Johnson.  This is the newest Simplicity tractor I have.  I have just done my first mowing with it yesterday after some deck work and sharpening the blades.   I still have a few bugs to work out.  

I believe from reading this one has the newer hub.  I have a few others with the older hub.   I am wondering if someone set up the differential w positive traction and something has broken on the right side?   I think I watched a Youtube video on the positive traction setting with the differential.   That would not be my choice for the most part.   If the differential were working correctly I do not think I would have any wheel driven.   My experience is with a rear axle in a car or truck and this may be different.   From looking the axle tubes seem to carry the weight of the tractor and then the drive axles rotate inside the tubes?   Anyone have an idea what I am looking for?

IMG_4632.JPG

IMG_4633.JPG

The transmission drives the axle tube and transmits power to the differential (just inside of the right wheel) the differential works like all diffs in that it allows one wheel to rotate at a different speed than the other.  The differential provide power to the solid axle and the right side wheel hub. 

Easiest way to check the differential is to jack up the rear (both tires off the ground) put the transmission in gear, and manually rotate the left wheel... the right should rotate the opposite direction.  If not, you have something broke in the differential, it could be the hub gear or spider gears.