Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4040 ??

MPH

First time I've had to tough it since I brought it home, put the charged up battery in, get oil lite and front PTO works but thats it.With clutch stepped in no starter reaction, is there another safty switch to deal with?? someone has been into the steer colum I'm guessin to mickey mouse some wiring. but thought before I try to squeeze inside I'd ask if I'm missing a safty switch somewhere..thanks MPH

I think you'll probably have a safety switch on you PTO's, make sure they are disengaged. Yo may also have one on your hydrostatic shifter somewhere to make sure it's in neutral and possibly one under the seat to make sure you're sitting on it. There could be others. Sandy

MPH, Like Sandy says, there are three safety switches. Two for the two PTO's and one neutral safety switch, located between the frame and hydrostatic trans just in front of the hydraulic filter. You don't have to, but should push in the clutch B4 starting. If you crawl inside, tie a lifeline around your waist so someone can pull you out. Paul

Only have the front PTO, I can see the clutch move, does that nessaryly mean the switch workin? by getting inside Paul, I meant inside the shop, this thing is too inclosed to see anything on without takin off a few panels. Might be a few days before I can spend that much time on it..thanks MPH

I like the looks of this power max Jeff but she's kinda ugly to be kissin. Since I haven't gotten manuals yet, where is the starter hidding on here. Left the 112 parked outside today after I blew away the snow I shoveled off the semi van roof so maybe I can squeeze it in behind the van. thanks for the info//MPH

If you see or hear the front clutch move - your switch is a-workin'. Mess around with the hydro lever to be sure it is at the detent for neutral. Move it back and forth with the key 'on' (starting position) and see if anything happens. If not, time to start tracing wires and testing with the meter. Start with the key switch and then move to the starter solenoid, next. Don't get your tongue stuck to any cold metal parts, OK? ;o) Jeff

Marty, The starter is located on right, lower side of the engine. Follow your + battery cable and you'll find it. The only drawback, is that you'll have to lift the engine to get at it and do any work. Jeff