Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
CVSB10JCS

Deck Spindel Bearing Life

CVSB10JCS

Changed the oil in neighbors CRAPsmen riding mower and she gave me owners/parts manuels for reference. while cleaning the repainting the deck and installing new blades the bearing (NOT GREASABLE!!!)  were as smooth as butter?!?!?!  tractor was bought new in 2008. I HAVE NEVER got any deck spindle bearing to last that long and I drill and install grease fittings!  What am I doing wrong or does Sear installed better bearings???  I am think maybe not CRAPsmen but perhaps CRAFTSMAN??? 

jlasater

The bearings in my 716H that I bought back in 2002 are still running well, and I have no idea how old they were when I bought the tractor. I never wash the deck with water, only use a blow gun, and try to be careful to not hit anything that shocks the blades (rocks, stumps, etc). Is it possible you're over-greasing the bearings?

a_sannine

for ur info grease fittings only grease the shaft and got nothing to do with greasing bearings , as all if not most bearings sealed , so basically grease keeps moisture out of the shaft

Edited by a_sannine

MikeES

I have been collecting these tractors since 1980.  EVERY tractor I bought has had to have new bearings put into the deck.   But I have never replaced any that I have installed.  The 48" deck that I use the most has had the same bearings since late 90s.  None sit outside, maybe the trick.

Bill725

I bought a Sovereign new in 2000 and I am still running the original mower deck spindle bearings. In fall, when the mowing season is over, I remove all of the hardware from the bottom/blade side of the spindle and pump grease into the spindle housing until the grease is forced out of the bearing seal.