Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs Foam Air Filters to Oil or Not

laytonlight

Did a search but didn't come up with a definitive answer on this. On the old Briggs 23D engines that have the foam filter, do you all oil it before use or use it dry? If oiling, what weight & type of oil?

I would recommend oiling the filter. Any engine oil will work fine. The oil is used to collect dirt and dust, not lubricate.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. Oil it is! sm01 I have aftermarket foam filters on my old motorcycle that I oil, I just wasn't sure on these. Thanks again!

18 hours ago, laytonlight said:

Thanks for the replies guys. Oil it is! sm01 I have aftermarket foam filters on my old motorcycle that I oil, I just wasn't sure on these. Thanks again!

What kind of bike?

If you are speaking of the old, all foam filters, yes they should be oiled.  If you are speaking of the the thin foam pre-filters that go over the paper filters, I would not oil those.  IMO the paper filters will absorb some of the oil and that will affect their ability to breath.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brettw said:

If you are speaking of the old, all foam filters, yes they should be oiled.  If you are speaking of the the thin foam pre-filters that go over the paper filters, I would not oil those.  IMO the paper filters will absorb some of the oil and that will affect their ability to breath.   

Yeah, it's the old foam filters, not the pre-filter. Thanks!

4 hours ago, laytonlight said:

73 CB 450 - Currently not running. :(

I used to have this 67, cool machine but I don't miss it. 

scan0002.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, laytonlight said:

73 CB 450 - Currently not running. :(

I had one of those, instead of valve springs they had tiny torsion bars. Loved it!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dhoadley said:

I had one of those, instead of valve springs they had tiny torsion bars. Loved it!

I messaged Rich with a photo of it because I didn't want to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned it, here's mine :D:

73CB450.jpg

• Like 1