Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lack of fuel Flow on late model sovereign with briggs single

GregB

Still fighting to keep the fuel filter more or less full.   Originally had a plain gravity system.  Then changed to a vacuum fuel pump from the dipstick crankcase pulse type system,  When it gets hot , no fuel in the filter and the carb acts starved of fuel.  It just seems like it is running hot,  could that be "vapor locking" the system and preventing flow?

Gravity feed should be more than enough for this engine , something restricting the flow , make sure ur tank breather working .

Check ur carb bowl adjusted right as well

Edited by a_sannine

I'll check both, but gravity and the pump do not seem to keep fuel in the filter.

From when this first started last year I have replaced the tank, with no internal bag filter.  All fuel line is new, new filter, different carb, even put a vacuum fuel pump on it to try to pump the fuel. 

When it sits over night fuel filter fills, but running little fuel is visible.

Make sure you have a gas filter for small eng.  I used a clear one once and had same problem, changed to a RED briggs filter and had no more problems.

I had this problem also, on mine it was dirt over the years in the tank plugging the filter in the bottom of the tank.  I removed the screen there, seeing as I have an inline filter I didn't need it, and the filter now is mostly full all the time.

Steve

Gas filter doesn't have to be filled , I got one of the k301 filter barely has any gas visible, runs perfect.  

So I came home early this afternoon , and went down to finish mowing.  Did not change a thing.  Opened up the shut off, started the tractor.  the fuel pump filled the filter just about full.  Started mowing, the longer I mowed the less fuel was in the filter. 

Did not get to finish mowing because it started to shower, and on my slopes wet is not good.

The only thing different is that the temp is 10-12 degrees less outside than yesterday.  I had not run it as long, probably did not get as hot.

Soooo based on cold fuel flow I would say all the blocked fitting/filter is out the window?

Back to heat related fuel flow issues in my mind.

Thoughts?

As another bit of information, last year when it shut off , no fuel in filter, I removed the needle valve from the main jet and almost no fuel drained from the bowl. ?

Perplexed

Again with the fuel tank screen or elbow obstruction ideas. There is a small fine screen filter inside the tank at the outlet of the tank....eliminate that screen but using a punch like a phillips screwdriver ect...Also if there is a 90 degree elbow on bottom of the tank at the outlet....clean it out. Also make sure that the small tiny hole in the fuel cap is cleared. I used a tiny drill to open up the hole one size larger.

The lack of fuel in the filter and bowl STILL says some restrictions of some sort. 

I also have seen fuel lines look excellent only to be collapsed on the inside of the fuel line itself.

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fishnwiz said:

Again with the fuel tank screen or elbow obstruction ideas. There is a small fine screen filter inside the tank at the outlet of the tank....eliminate that screen but using a punch like a phillips screwdriver ect...Also if there is a 90 degree elbow on bottom of the tank at the outlet....clean it out. Also make sure that the small tiny hole in the fuel cap is cleared. I used a tiny drill to open up the hole one size larger.

The lack of fuel in the filter and bowl STILL says some restrictions of some sort. 

I also have seen fuel lines look excellent only to be collapsed on the inside of the fuel line itself.

I have a B10 that had serious fuel flow problems. Replacing the 90deg shutoff with an open straight down nipple helped it a whole bunch. Sometimes it still surges a bit but it's usable now.

Give it a direct line to carb from a gallon mounted on the hood , see if this eliminate the issue , may be it is not a gas problem , could be a spark issue .

Is this engine been modified to a pointless coil ?

• Like 1

I would start with the simple stuff.  You have stated you replaced the tank and it has no screen, so that is done.  When it does this, simply disconnect the fuel line from the carb inlet.  Does fuel flow freely out of the line at that point, when the problem occurs and everything is hot.  If so, the problem exists in the carb assembly, or in the elbow fitting BLT mentions.  If not, the problem lies somewhere in the tank, line, filter, gas cap breather.  Easiest way to determine where to start looking.

Edited by Brettw

Fixed the problem yesterday.

It started acting starved, with empty filter, so I switched deck to 917 and mowed.

Kind of forgot how smooth a twin can be.  Quieter to, could actually hear the deck.

Edited by GregB
  • Like 1