Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

5116 Peerless Transmission Issues

bnolte

I have been tinkering with a 5116 Lawn tractor over the summer, which I got as a project this spring. In a nutshell, it has a good deck, I have the motor running good, steering straight,  and have 4 tires that hold air. I also have a 4212 hydrostatic I got for parts, mostly some steering parts, a seat,  and a tire that holds air. The 5116 has the Peerless 801 transmission. On my brief test drive, it functioned, but after I got it home I discovered the big drive pulley on top was wallowed out. I replaced it with a slightly smaller pulley, and a drive belt that will work with it, but after I run it enough to get it warm, I often have trouble getting it out of gear. I had the transaxle apart while I had it out, and followed a couple of Zippo's suggestions to thin out the lubricant, but that is an inexact science at best IMHO. Another option, since this tractor is basically for messing around and tinkering with is to take the hydro transaxle out of the 4212. I wonder if it will work, or should I look at other options?

20170414_063858.jpg

20170410_220842.jpg

Look both tractors over very closely.Take measurements of the frame and look to see if the mounting points and holes are the same. If it appears that the hydro will fit up to the 5116 frame and the drive belt and idlers will go in place it might make a nice conversion. I have an Allis 616H that is basically the twin of your 5116 and the hydro makes it a nice machine to mow with...Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I will look into it. After running it for a couple of hours, the transmission seems better, but trying to get it out of gear or into reverse is still a PITA, especially when going uphill. Maybe more running will help, but the 5116 is no substitute for my Landlord DLX.

If it's a gear transmission, I would suspect the belt isn't fully releasing. Do you have the belt stop pins that are usually on these things to help stop the belt and get it away from the pulley for shifting? I'm not familiar with the 5116...