• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

New Member List & Member Map   02/12/2017

Implemented both a new Member List and Member Map.  See News & Announcements for more details.
    • Kent

Chat Room is down   05/06/2017

IPS has just discontinued their built-in chat on May 1st.  I am still testing alternatives that will integrate cleanly.  Sorry for the disruption!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jlasater

9020 final drive rebuild

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

One or both of the final drives on my 9020 project are making bad noises and/or clunks. Both finals had gear oil that looked like peanut butter and one had a cup of water in it so I suspect the bearings are shot. Are all of the bearings (tapered roller, needle, and regular ball bearing) generally locally available? I'm not sure about the flanged one that rides on the inboard end of the spur gear drive shaft. It's not apart, so I can't take parts to the local NAPA yet.

If I rebuild and reassemble the final drives and need to rebuild the brakes later, can the final drives be taken off as an assembly, or am I going to have to tear everything back down again? The parts manual sort of looks like it will unbolt as a unit.

Edited by jlasater

The bearings should be available locally. I did a tear down job on my right rear axle drop housing and was able to find what I needed at a few local Agri parts stores.

Posted (edited)

Fun in progress. The finals came apart very easily, actually. I'm replacing all the bearings as some had obvious corrosion from sitting in water/oil. Fortunately the gear teeth look good. You can see some of the oil in the drain pan. That was after I changed out the *really* nasty oil/water that came out a few months ago.

9020_final%20drive_1.jpg

9020_final%20drive_2.jpg

9020_final%20drive_3.jpg

9020_final%20drive_4.jpg

9020_final%20drive_5.jpg

Edited by jlasater
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

So...the bearing with the snap ring that I got that goes on the smaller gear has a snap ring that is a little thinner than the original one. do you guys think that will make much difference? It's used to locate the bearing between the side plate and outside case. I'm thinking that if it doesn't match the gasket thickness, there might be a little room for it to walk back and forth. I'm tempted to locate some thin shim washers to make up the difference.

I'm not sure that the thrust washer that goes on the far end of the gear next to the needle bearing will keep things in line. With that smaller snap ring, it's equivalent to having a thinner thrust washer.

Edited by jlasater

Actually...I think it'll be ok. I thought the snap ring was too thin because I took the new bearing with snap ring and positioned that snap ring in the groove of the old bearing and it was loose. Mic'd both rings and they are actually the same, so the old bearing groove has some wear.