Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Filter position swap on a Sundstrand Update and Pics

Brettw

Has anyone taken a pump and removed the rmote filter and side plate and moved the filter to that location?  I'm not sure it functions properly there the way the plate appears to be set up.  Any hydro guys out there familiar with this?

Edited by Brettw

No feedback, and I couldn't seem to find any info on line. So, I decided to dive in myself.  Here is the deal.  The Sundstrands without the side mounted filter, but with the remote filter, have a cover plate held in place with a large bolt where the side mount filter would go.  The bolt takes the place of the pipe close nipple that the filter would screw to.  Under the plate is a large gasket that seals off where the return journal is, if you had a filter in place.  In between the in and out (pipe nipple and return journal) there is a passage that is threaded, but open between the two.  This can be seen from the bottom when the outlet that attaches to the return hose is removed.  In the newer pump with the side mounted filter, this is blocked with a steel plug of some sort, forcing the fluid to move through the filter ( I could not figure out how the plug was installed, or how to remove it to re-purpose it in the older version).   With another plug from the failed pump,  I was able to fabricate a proper plug to close off the bypass, and now have the correct setup for a side mount filter.  So, it can be done.  The pumps, in this regard are the same.  The plug and the cover plate and gasket are the differences.    I will post some pictures before I put it all back together.  If the plug were not installed, it would not affect anything initially, but I do not think there would be much fluid actually flowing through the filter.  So protection would be minimal.

• Like 2

So, here are some pics of the journals and setup differences, and how I made a plug out of one of the plugs from the replaced pump.    I had to cut the head off of the plug and cut a slot into it so I could screw it into place.  Pic is of a test fit.  A bunch of detailed cleaning before final assembly and it was all set to go.  Used some loctite and screwed it in place.  It's back together, and it running around the yard just fine.

IMG_2639.JPG

IMG_2640.JPG

IMG_2641.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2643.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG

IMG_2645.JPG

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 2

So if I understand correctly you wanted the side mount filter?

I've been wanting to do the opposite. 

Well, I have all of the parts you need.  You just have to remove the plug between the two journals and you are good to go.

On Sun Aug 13 2017 at 11:22 AM, GregB said:

I also like the filter between the plates, but once you have the idler and bracket the side filter isn't a problem anymore.

Except another bearing to fail and a longer belt.