Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help Smoking Gun.

lt-scir

History, B-10 23d, Using oil, Various small oil leaks, Last overhaul around 1975.  Now, Tear down ,Clean everything, Bore very shiney, Hone till I had a dull cross hatch, Clean again, grind valves, Clean again, All new gaskets,new rings , RE-assemble. Started it, slight oil smoke-normal, went and mowed at half-2/3 for about20 min. came back to it Started and mowed at 2/3 for about 20 min All this time the smoke got worse and worse. Used Reg. oil. HELP

If every thing been put back right it takes up to 5 hours for rings to seat , I hope rings not been installed wrong , as Briggs rings tricky .

One of the tricks is to let it sit for a week after the overhaul , then work it , assuming every thing been put back right .

What oil ur using ?

Edited by a_sannine

I'm using 10-30 reg oil. I installed rings per paper that came with the Briggs rings. I have been rebuilding 1 cyl to 6 cyl deisels in farm tractors since I was 14 yrs old, and never seen this much smoke come out the exchust. I am complety baffled. I'm thinking maybe I didn't hone enuff?

I would use 30 weight not 10/30 ,that might help .

But if it is smoking that bad something wrong

Edited by a_sannine

Two ways oil gets into the cylinder, valve guide seals and rings. If the cylinder was not round and straight, honing will not correct these conditions. Honing will only change the surface finish.