Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HB-212 recently picked up all original

Alltractoredup

About a month ago I found this gem on craigslist at an attractive price.  The HB-212 is my second favorite after the 900 series. Its a non-runner for the past 16 years the guy said, a true Barn Find as he has stored it in his barn since then.  Very nice guy who acquired tractor with the purchase of a hobby farm.  He is also an Allis guy so we exchanged stories which made the 3.5 hour one way drive more worth it.  Deck spindles are all frozen, not repairs at all on deck or need for any.  Best B-series deck I have ever seen.  Engine spins freely with compression.  Its definitely electric.  When putting juice to it, it seems there is an issue past the key switch.  I have not had much time to tinker with it since working on my 900 project.  Enjoy the picks

20170805_181245.jpg

20170805_181251.jpg

20170805_181257.jpg

20170805_181304.jpg

20170805_181320.jpg

20170805_181139.jpg

20170805_181159.jpg

20170805_181215.jpg

20170805_181221.jpg

Edited by Alltractoredup
spelling
  • Like 2

Very nice!! Does not appear to have a lot of scratches or rust. Light rubbing compound will do wonders, I think it will clean up nicely. 

• Like 1

You have done well! Solid 48 with deflector, and very good original paint. That'll clean up real nice! dOd

• Like 1

You don't see many of them, especially in good original paint. Hubcaps, front & rear lights look original too.. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It lives!!!!  It runs amazing!!!!  I spent some time day getting this guy running.  I put the Nova II points eliminator on (first I ever installed one)  and let the carb soak in a vinegar/water solution the night before.  

Installed everything back and tried starting it.....the key does not start it.  I have to jump it at the solenoid.  Also, when I want to turn off engine I have to pull spark plug wire.  I need some help figuring this out.  

The picture shows it running sm06sm06

20170902_190135.jpg

I am very lucky how well the engine runs....very smooth and the hydro as well.  

There are two wires coming from behind flywheel shroud and one from key.  I put all three together and spliced them into the positive point on the Nova.  Any suggestions???

That is a posibility....I have not checked that...actually I did not think this old of tractor had those safety features yet.  Also, its when I go to shut down tractor that the key and kill switch does nothing.  Anybody have a wiring diagram for an HB-212

Pretty rare to find a nice original like that. Very nice find!

I just purchased a very nicely painted ($$$) (except for wheels)  HB212 that didn't have a deck.  Bought a ratty old 48" deck for it, pretty beat up, bent up, sat for many, many years.  Blades had cut grass and gravel about evenly if I had to guess!  Had help from PhanDad like you did,  to get the right, or close to right belts for it.  Bought new blades and actually cut grass with it Saturday.  (Deck covers are from a 42" deck and held on by big washers - LOL)

Sure do like the hydro. These are very special tractors - at least as far as I am concerned!

Good luck with the finishing.  Will be looking for some pictures when you are done.

• Like 1