Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sleeve Hitch Upper Tube

laytonlight

Got this photo from one of Ray's posts so hope there's no copyright infringement there but I wanted it to illustrate something. I recently bought a Brinly style sleeve hitch for my 2012 Landlord. Everything fits but I didn't realize that the tube component on the upper lift assembly is different to accommodate the pin to draw the hitch up or down. On the one that's on there, it appears to have enough clearance that I can drill a hole but I was wondering about the measurement as illustrated in the photo. Can someone measure and tell me? I've checked around and haven't seen any of these for sale, so... Any problems foreseen with this approach? Will it be strong enough?

sleeve hitch-1.jpg

Layton, What will you be using on the briny style hitch? Asking because you may not want or need a solid connection between the top lift and the lower hitch. I use my briny style most on older tractors w/o that connection rod; it allows the implement to float. The hitch pictured is many times used on newer Sovereigns that utilize a cable (rather than a rod) to raise & lower upper lift tube so float is built-in ahead of this point.  

• Like 1

Hey Gene,

I plan on using it with a moldboard plow when I get one. So the plow would work without that solid connection? I guess I could rig a strong cable to pin to the top lift. Also thought about rigging up some sort of scarifier for the drive which would probably need it unless I built some weight into it. Thanks.

I use the older style "V" shaped lower hitch for plowing but I suspect this one will work.  The top link and lower hitches work independently when plowing; I cut a rod to fit in top link & attached a chain to hook to the plow to raise and lower. The lower link is used for draft. I can fix you up w/a Simplicity plow.

• Like 1

Hey guys just to throw my hat in the ring but this is hitch I use.

slightly modified from what PeppyDan had but works for me. I added the bolts so I could adjust plow side to side

Use short rod in upper lift and chain bolted to plow to lift

DSCN1558.JPG

DSCN1557.JPG

• Like 2

On 8/7/2017 at 7:28 AM, gwiseman said:

I use the older style "V" shaped lower hitch for plowing but I suspect this one will work.  The top link and lower hitches work independently when plowing; I cut a rod to fit in top link & attached a chain to hook to the plow to raise and lower. The lower link is used for draft. I can fix you up w/a Simplicity plow.

Thanks Gene,

That sounds like the proper approach to it. I wasn't thinking about the need for the implement to float. I'm finishing painting some rims for the 2012 and I've got the ags to put on them. I still have some carb work to do on it but the 2012 should be going soon. I'll let you know when she's up and running and maybe I can bribe you with a fine BBQ steak dinner to show me how to plow with it! dOd Thanks again for your help.

• Like 1