Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Micky mouse visited 4040

MPH

Walked past it this morning and decided I had to check out Jeff's advice of moving the hydro lever around, no luck, well battery is in, I wonder, now have steering wheel off and switch displayed, heres what I get, ign, terminal has 12 volts all the time, Ass. and bat. terminal when key is on and center post marked starter has 9 volts with key on and 12 in start mode, but no wire. found twisted together wire splice job with no tape even used connected to a factory lookin plug just above the drive shaft. Does the ign and starter run off the same wire from the switch??Don't want to power it if someone micky'ed another switch in and fry some parts with wrong voltage..thanks MPH

MPH, You ought to see what Mickey MOuse did to the wiring on my 4040. Gads what a mess! Might be easier just to run all new wires. The tractor is in pieces scattered all about my shop waiting reassembly. Hope I can get back to it before I forget how it all goes back together...........

The ignition wire should go through the switch to the Coilunless it has a loop through the safty interlock system that shuts the engine off if you get up with the PTO on. The start wire should loop through the neutral switch and the PTO disengage switch.Then go to the starter sol. Some mowers have relays for the interlock switch and I am not familiair with the newer Simplicities. But the principle of safty switches still aplies on all brands. Now the other thing is the voltage problem. You cannot send the wrong voltage to any component as long as the power supply does'nt exceed the 12 volts. The only way you can damage the switch or the wires is to dead short the wire before you apply a [load] to the circut. The load being something like the sol. or the electric clutch. You get the idea. As long as there is a fuse between the amp. meter and the switch and it is of the proper size you cannot burn anthing out. Dave.

This won't help but be glad your wiring didn't look like this with Mickey messin with it! MadManX http://www.elec-trak.org/gallery/E15RestorationPhotosDisass/images/inside_console.jpg