Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler magnum block question

puttputt

I have a 20 HP magnum engine that has some damage to the #2 crankcase half. I know where there is a 18 hp magnum parts engine. Are the crankcase halves the same for both engines? If not then I won't bother with the parts engine.

I should add that these are both horizontal shaft engines.

Edited by puttputt

Great, thanks. I can get the parts engine for free but I wanted to double check that the blocks were the same before I went to the trouble of picking it up and tearing it apart.

I went and picked up the free 18 horse magnum. Engine has been sitting for a few years. From what I understood, the guy said it got water in it. I didn't know if he meant from sitting . It had been in an Argo so then I thought maybe he meant the machine had gotten submerged. In any event, I tore the engine apart expecting to find a useless engine. As it turns out, there is nothing wrong at all internally. I think it is actually a low hour engine. The cylinder walls have zero scoring and there is not a scuff mark or any marks on the crown area of either piston. Main bearings are fine as well as the rods. So this will not be a parts donor. A good cleaning and a new set of rings and  touch up of the valves and seats and it should be a pretty decent engine. As it happens, we have an Argo with the exact same engine in it so we'll have a spare engine for it.

The only real issue I found with the engine is the flywheel magnets had come loose. So I guess it's either try to reattach the magnets or look for another flywheel. Over all though, it should be a good engine for not much tied up in it.

X 2 on the gluing of the flywheel magnets.  

There are a lot of mixed reviews on that topic.  The outboard marine industry has been doing it for years with a lot of success.  OMC sells an epoxy kit for that specific purpose for around $6.00.  Surface preparation being the biggest factor once you have the poles lined up correctly.  Here are pictures of a Command that had three loose magnets.  To be honest, I'm more concerned about losing the three that are still held in by the original adhesive.

IMG_1384.JPG

Yes, I watched a couple of videos on gluing them in with some type of epoxy. Got nothing to lose by trying--and they are all loose!

Edited by puttputt