Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cone clutch leather lining

a_sannine

The  lining holding great it's been used 4 times so far to mow for 30 minutes . 

I glued it with two parts epoxy. 

I need to re-line a front PTO.  I have a 2" section missing, of an otherwise great looking lining.  What is left on there, seems to be firmly cemented, and I had a tough time trying to free it (and gave up...for now).  I'm thinking simply filling the small section may work.  For my use, it will probably never be needed.  It is the setup for front PTO on the KT twins, which I have not run across before.  Can't seem to find the literature on it at the moment.

I have a leather lining on my Sovereign that I use for snow blowing. 2 years now without an issue. I made mine by cutting strips the width of the original material about 1.5" long with the ends cut at a 45 degree angle. The short lengths allowed me to glue them together and follow the cupped contour of the clutch bell. I used a Dremel with a drum sander on it to get the material evened out and to a proper thickness. 2 part epoxy to glue it down.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tripleguy said:

I have a leather lining on my Sovereign that I use for snow blowing. 2 years now without an issue. I made mine by cutting strips the width of the original material about 1.5" long with the ends cut at a 45 degree angle. The short lengths allowed me to glue them together and follow the cupped contour of the clutch bell. I used a Dremel with a drum sander on it to get the material evened out and to a proper thickness. 2 part epoxy to glue it down.

Thanks for sharing...good approach!

I wish I took photos , but I used a one piece cut to the width of the original material , perfectly straight edges , I took a perfect measurements to a point u can't see a seam .

I  did few tests  last night engaging pto at high speed to see how it is gonna hold , very happy , time will tell though . 

There is a place in Milwaukee that that relines them  for $35 each plus postage  I had six of them done for a club member. He sand blasts the cups and  then glues in eight pieces equally spaced holds them done with the cone and cures it in an oven..

I'm on my second clutch re lining.  The first using a pretty heavy leather lasted a little over 3 years with my normal mowing about an acre and a quarter as well as snow blowing a 500' drive and some rototilling.  Instead of epoxy, I used contact adhesive. 

11 hours ago, BLT said:

There is a place in Milwaukee that that relines them  for $35 each plus postage  I had six of them done for a club member. He sand blasts the cups and  then glues in eight pieces equally spaced holds them done with the cone and cures it in an oven..

Do u have there contact Info BLT?

Thanks

9 hours ago, a_sannine said:

Do u have there contact Info BLT?

Thanks

·Brake Clutch & Drum Service. 4934 W State St Milwaukee, WI 53208 ... (414) 476-2292

• Like 2