Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Final Carb rebuild!

gjh

Ok; just finished third time I've rebuilt my flojet on my T-12. Continues to leak like a seive, now it fill the bottom of carb with gas & won't start. It's been intermittent for 4-5 months, did minor rebuild this summer and worked decent. Then it would run great & shut down after running for 1/2 hour. Pulled the kids up & down the driveway this afternoon & then it kept shutting down. I know it's the carb cause some start fluid & choke will get it going for a while. I could live with the leaking by shutting off fuel; but now, even after doing a full rebuild it no good. Guess it's time for a new carb!.. It'll cost me more than I paid for the tractor. Anyone got a good used one cheap?? Thanks guys.

Thanks Dutch, I did; except I didn't quit get the bit about using the old fuel jet ground down to lap the carb. The full rebuild kit I got did not come with the seats, Do you think this could be causing the problem? Have you ad any experience at doing one of these carbs? Many thanks. Gary Hamilton

Iwas in need of a carb a while back for one of my own outfits and all I had were carbs with warped upper bodys. I put the four corners of the upper body in a vise and ever so slightly bent them back one at a time checking and rechecking for fit to the bowl. Doesn't leak while running but will slowly seep if the gas is not shut off while the tractor sits. Runs OK. Bought me some time anyhow till I can come a cross a better carb.

Gary, With my advice it is a case of, "Those who can do, those who can't teach." I never overhauled a Flo-Jet carb. Guess I've been lucky. If they start acting up on me I just blow them out with air. Do a "search" on "carb", or "flo", or "leak". There have been some extensive discussions here with some good tips about lapping seats, installing gaskets, etc.

Well; last night I gave up when my machine didn't start & the carb was leaking pretty badly, then I remember what I call the distractor (no pun intended) factor. I'll be working on something and notice something else and start fiddling with the new adventure. Well while I had the carb off I said to my self, never checked the points, so I in my infinate wisdom ran some emery between them to clean them up. Then once the carb was back on whala!, the machine wouldn't start. That's when I gave up. Tonight I revisited the points, sure as heck I had pulled them out of alignment, adjusted them & the old baby fired up. Warmed her up & adjusted high & low jets & she ran nice, Still have the leak, but the fuel shut off will handle that. Long & short ......NEVER MAKE TWO CHANGES AT THE SAME TIME.....

I'm curious. I've rebuilt my carbs successfully and they had the symptoms told by Gary. I've never had a warped part on any of the carbs I have. It doesn't seem they could get hot enough to do that. How do they warp? MadManX

Hi, Regarding the points, it is common for these engines to have the "bump" that opens the points grooved. This little wear spot in the camshaft is where the plunger rides. When the points are set at .020 the timing with the coil and the magnets is not exactly right as the points are breaking late. My old 10 hp used to just die often when I would turn down hill, then I could restart it and go. I think it was due to the camshaft moving enough that the plunger would ride on the side of the groove and change the point setting. I used to set the points by turning the screw in until I could detect a change in the running of the engine and then out until till the same thing happened. Then I would turn then back exactly 1/2 way between. It would run fine that way. When they were set that way it never died any more. That is how I always set the points on these engines anymore unless they have a new camshaft, or I have looked at the point lobe, then I use 020. Good luck, Al Eden

• 4 weeks later...
My uncle just gave me a big ten and the carb doesn't leak unless you are turning it over. Then it leaks out the bottom of the air horn. I tried rebuilding the carb but it still does it. I tried the carb off my dad's b110 and that leaked also, however it doesn't leak on the 110. It has to be something else causing this, but i'm not sure if it is a valve problem or if it is sucking air somewhere but it is definately anoying.It won't leak when it is just sitting there.