Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Valve covers for TH18 Kohler?

SimpleMan

Was finishing up the timing belt and valve adjustment service on my TH18 OHC Kohler, when (self inflicted) disaster struck. Was carefully tightening down the valve covers, to torque and sequence specs., when I damaged both covers. They cracked right at one of the mounting holes. Now I'm finding that it's become difficult to get parts for it.

Bought my Sovereign brand new in 97, still has it's original engine. The engine I might add, has been running strongly all of these years, and it would be a shame to have to toss it out. I know that a repower is an option, but financially, it makes more sense that I repair instead. Would anyone happen to have valve covers they would be willing to sell off of a blown Triad Kohler? I would need both. The mechanical fuel pump (on #1 valve cover) does not need to be functional as I installed an electric pump on my engine.

Looking forward to the responses. Thanks.

Hello, There  are a couple guys here that have damaged triad engines.  Place an ad in the for sale section 

Thanks Ken in Mi

There are a few #2 covers including a new one on ebay, the #1 cover is a lot harder to find. When you replace them put about an 1/8th to 1/4 inch of rtv on the cover and let it skin over for a few hours per Al Edens, you won't need to torque them as tight.