Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Grader Blade Popularity

Dutch

According to the 1961 price list a grader blade retailed for $30, while a sickle bar retailed for $125. The sickle bar was four times more expensive than a grader blade. That makes sense since the sickle bar had many more machined parts. The same 4:1 price ratio carried over in the 1969 price list. A grader blade just sold on eBay for $227.50, while a sickle bar just sold on eBay for $264.99. What am I missing? Why would a used grader blade be worth virtually the same as a used sickle bar? Don’t take me the wrong way. I own a genuine Simplicity grader blade and it is very sturdy (1/2” thick blade). However, a brand new sleeve hitch type grader blade costs about $200. Granted, it only has a 3/16” thick blade, but any welding shop should be able to duplicate the genuine Simplicity blade, if you couldn’t make one yourself. I frequently see this type grader blade at local yard sales for $25-$50. Yet on eBay they bring a premium. Here’s a grader blade on eBay right now. Sickle bars are a different story. Where would you buy a new one that would work on an AC/Simplicity tractor? What would a new one cost? How much would it cost to have one made at a machine shop? So, what is it with grader blades? Why do eBay bidders pay those prices? Or, why do sickle bars bring so little by comparison?

Dutch, I also have a grader blade and it works great! I prefer a belly mount attachment for many applications because of the increased control you have over the implement. However, I don't think I would pay $227 for a grader blade. The sickle bar may have been less because it was the later model with the seperate handle lift. I have that model and haven't got it working yet but I am apprehensive of that lift mechanism. If I had known the difference in the lifting mechanisms beforehand I would have waited and paid more just to get the later lift kit. Chris

Christopher: Duh! I forgot that I DO have a lift handle, obviously original, approx. 27" long, white plastic grip on it. I had to go out and look at the bar.... I also have a mostly straight rod, approx. 3/8" or 1/2" O.D., solid, w/ particular, minor bends in it, which I assume goes somewhere on the Haban sickle bar. Any ideas? (And thank you for clearing up my confusion on earlier vs. later) :) My Haban is Model No. 990210, and also says "Mod. No. 1266," which I'm assuming is the Haban model no? Just curious. One last mystery: How did the previous owner run the Haban off of my tractor, which lacks the dual size center PTO? I only have one pulley, which I assume runs the mower deck, which the tractor also came with, in addition to the Haban. Dutch: I agree w/ your economic analysis, (i.e., a new sicklebar might be $1,500.00) and if you told me the inflationary index puts the current price of a sickle at $1,500.00, I wouldn't doubt it. I priced the replacement Jari sickle mower to the one I have from the seventies, (2 1/2 hp.) and the bar is approx. 30", I'm guessing, maybe 36", and last I checked, in '93, they wanted in excess of $1,200.00, although it is a complete walk-behind machine. My answer to your question is just a theory: That everyone knows there are no more parts avail. for the Habans, and consequently, their value has dropped down to the $200.-600. range that I recall Smilin'Sam and others indicating, due to this fact. IOW, do you think people aren't willing to pay a lot w/ the intention of working them hard, or commercially, b/c they know in the end they won't be able to get replacement parts? My .02. Peter

Peter, Is the same pulley that drives the mower deck also used to power the sickle bar? Both deck & bar can't be hooked up at the same time. If I were to use a sickle bar commercially, I'd probably do the conversion.

Dutch: I remember "the conversion," but I believe that gentlemen's metal fabrication skills dramatically exceed my own. Might be worth having it done, however, as you say, if using the bar commercially. And it's one mean lookin' machine, isn't it? Re: the pulley, that's my question too, as I read here that you need a pulley half the size of the mower pulley, to run the sickle. I only have one pulley, unless perhaps the previous owner swithed pulleys for each implement? I don't know, but I only have the one, single pulley.

Peter, I believe you do need the double pulley for the sickle. It runs off the smaller section to keep the speed down. The rod may be for the (swath board?) If you look at the pictures there is a rod and a board on the far end of the sickle. Also the #990210 is the # 210 I was refering to, as to the #1266 I don't have a clue. Chris

I think you have hit on this before , Dutch. Price amounts to whos looking and when , where Ebay is concerned. I'll sell a given item one week and get $20. Put another identical item on two weeks later and get $50, or vise versa. Like discussed before, too many variables present to nail anything down firmly for value. Each bidder has different ideas on value and reasons for bidding.

I love my grader blade - top implement. I paid 180 for it cause I had a dire need for it at the time. It was worth every penny. The belly mounted blade is much more appropriate for landscaping, gravel driveways, etc. You can stand on it while blading (is that a word?) and it really digs in. I have two now and one is for sale. I am asking 250. Steve

I didn’t mean to imply that $200-$300 was too much to pay for a high quality belly mount grader blade that will fit right on an AC/Simplicity tractor without any modifications. I would certainly do the same thing instead of spending the same money for a lesser quality sleeve hitch blade. However, for those who have a use or need for a sickle bar mower, why wouldn’t the same apply? A new comparable length sickle bar for a BCS type walk behind tractor retails for about $1000. A 3 point sickle mower retails for about $3000. I would guess that if sickle bar mowers were still available new for the AC/Simplicity tractors, they would retail for about $1500. Approximately the same price ratio as it was 30-40 years ago. I’m not suggesting the present market price for used grader blades or sickle mowers are too high or too low. I’m just curious about the apparent inconsistency. Perhaps the demand for a sickle bar is not as great as the demand for a grader blade, but products like the DR brush cutter seem to be selling. For those who have acreage that only gets cut a few times a year, a regular mower deck sure doesn’t meet the task.

Peter, Sorry about the mix up. My sickle bar was the earlier model #210. On this model (same as ebay) The lift was a handle on the sickle bar itself that you have to pull up on and you have to hold unless you put the transport chain on. On the later models (346 on up) the lift used a cable to connect into the lift on the tractor. Thereby allowing you to use the regular lift handle or in luckier circumstances, hydro lift. I believe some of these models are displayed in the simplicity and allis sections of this site. Like I said mine isn't working yet, so I don't know if the lifts will be that different but the convenience factor seems like the later lift would would be better. Hope this clears some of the fog. If you have any other questions just ask, someone will probably have an answer. Chris[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/sickle_bar_specs.htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/sickle_bar_specs.htm[/a]

Herb Im looking for a good grader blade like the one on e-bay. The next time you find one on a yard sale for 25.00 or 30.00 dollars I will give you a hansome profit. Thanks Bob

Bob, Will do.... It must be mentality in different parts of the country. Around here many folks buy L&G stuff at Sears, Home Depot, or Lowes, use it a few times and then it's for sale. Rather then wait for me, why not check the clearance items at the box stores? Many times discontinued models or returns can be bought for 50% off. $100 for a grader blade isn't bad without hunting or waiting. Used health & fitness equipment are other items that can picked up dirt cheap around here.

Christopher: Can you please clarify your concerns re: the lifting mech. on the sicklebar? I ask because I have an early Haban, which I have yet to use, but I'm missing any way to lift it, the chain I saw in the pics, and that big "beavertail" lookin' thing (swathboard?). Also, no disrespect intended, but your use of the word "later" confused me. Did you mean to say that you have an "earlier" (i.e., older?) model w/ the separate lift, and this is like the one on ebay, but you would like the "later" (i.e., newer?) model instead? B/c you said "later" in both references. Not wanting to "pick nits," here, just understand what already confuses me--but then, that's not so hard to do, sometimes.... Peter