Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis Chalmers 716

a_sannine

Beautiful shape from one owner with manuals and receipts. Owner bought a new tractor , the guy that  delivered  new tractor  took it as owner didn't want it , the driver didn't want the company he works for to scrap it  so he posted it for sale ,  engine runs like top, new tires all around , new die hard battery .unfortunately now I know why owner didn't want it as a loud noises coming from bgb , not sure if I am gonna fix or part it .

I don't think this beauty had a day out all these years , amazing rust free even under battery .

Thoughts?

Known I have few bgb on the shelf .

PS: I never saw one with a Briggs 16 engine it seem at some point engine be replaced .

IMG_20170814_123838.jpg

IMG_20170814_123852.jpg

IMG_20170814_101651.jpg

Edited by a_sannine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alltractoredup said:

Nice save!  What are your plans with it?

Not sure if I wanna dive into replacing the BGB or just part it ,I like the tractor so clean .

If you were closer I would like to figure something out.  I have a spare hydro/ BGB just waiting for a frame

Might part it to many projects , it doesn't have the original engine , need the BGB , to much time to bring it to original condition even though I have few kohler 16hp on the shelf , few bgb , but to much work , to many projects , ohhhh confused , I should step back and see what I am gonna do , I like the tractor amazing shape .

I got a an Allis 712 shuttle been out for 12 years I can pull the BGB from it as well and take what ever I need and scrap the rest .

I do believe there were a few 716 shipped with Briggs engines, might be original. Take a look at the wiring harness to see if it's hacked to accommodate the better engine. (Sorry couldn't resist, staunch Briggs man ). 666

I guess I don't have to voice my vote on what to do with it now do I.xD Why don't I have such specimen fall in my lap? 

• Like 1

It would be hard to see that nice of machine parted out, but sometimes that is what works best for your situation.  Are you coming towards MN anytime soon....666

• Like 1

9 hours ago, B-16_IC said:

I do believe there were a few 716 shipped with Briggs engines, might be original. Take a look at the wiring harness to see if it's hacked to accommodate the better engine. (Sorry couldn't resist, staunch Briggs man ). 666

I guess I don't have to voice my vote on what to do with it now do I.xD Why don't I have such specimen fall in my lap? 

No hacking on wires all looks stock , it is a nice of a machine beautiful shape for 1976

• Like 1

Your one of those guys who use chicken bones for soup!!    Nice job!.....My vote is to save it NOT part it!

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, a_sannine said:

No hacking on wires all looks stock , it is a nice of a machine beautiful shape for 1976

1976 was a good year!  

• Like 1

With that style of hood I believe that would be a '77 or '78.  Was thinking the shuttle and hydro BGBs were different but looking at the parts books, it appears they are interchangeable. 

Edited by Chris727
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Chris727 said:

With that style of hood I believe that would be a '77 or '78.  Was thinking the shuttle and hydro BGBs were different but looking at the parts books, it appears they are interchangeable. 

BGB box same exact

well if that is the original operators manual it looks to be dated 1980, check your shroud numbers to verify Briggs date and see what that that shows, They did have briggs  engines in a few for whatever reason. Probably to keep a contract with them would be my guess. Simplicity still has a contract with Kohler now even though they are owned by Briggs this way if a strike were to occur they can still get engines to keep up production I have been told. Sounds reasonable enough.

• Like 1

Simplicity did put Briggs in the AC 716 only, I have seen several.  This is a late 700 series with those decals and the exhaust extension on the hood.   My guess a 1977 or 1978.   1979 was the start of the 900 series.

• Like 2