Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I won, 4040 is inside

MPH

Seems everyone was picnic this afternoon so I hooked up the wire after doing a good splice job and I had starter action, spark at both plugs but no fuel. Dribbled into the carb with an oil gun And she started up, runnin bad on one, took plugs out, left one wouldnt spark, no ac45L's on my place so cleaned the wire tip and inside of wire and had nice blue spark. Still couldn't get gas so I jerry riged a spare tank to gravity feed though the return line and it would run good then die. After sometime of messin with this I took the 'T' out of the carb and put a dodge fitting in for direct feed as I could barly blow though the return nippal of the 'T'. After running awhile she got nice and smooth and sweet sounding after I slowed the idle down. Took the 2X4 outta the clutch peddal and went for a drive, steering is BAD, but drive train feels solid. The slop in the steering seems to all be in the center bolt. Is there a replacable bushing in there. Oh, after about 30 min of running the fuel pump started pumpin gas all over, almost had a backwards flyin woodpeck assuming it would never work til fixed. Think I'll go out and hook it back up and see what happens..After not being able to tough it for a week siiting by the front shop door cuz of workin on the van I feel GOOD tonite..MPH http://a5.cpimg.com/image/93/EB/9213075-5f7f-028001E0-.jpg

Marty, Sloppy steering could be that the steering gearbox is loose. Remove the cover in front of the seat and look down in and forward at the gearbox and see if the mounting bolts are backed out. Their a pain to tighten but use a knuckle joint and extension on your ratchet. Good luck, Paul

Marty Glad to here you got her going and inside.Now the real fun starts.Good luck on the restoration.--Have a good one.---RON B

Paul, the steering seems tight until it moves the front axle. the axle moves back and forth a lot, then the wheels turn..Ron, restoration is a ways down the road, too may things to do right now to worry about pretty..Paul, where do you mount your electric fuel pumps?? Had it running off my jerry rig tank, hooked up the fuel line to the pump and didn't get anything again..thanks>>MPH

MPH, Here's a pic. I left the mechanical pump in place. Wired to plus side of coil. Paul http://www.epho.com/pkjorlie/fuelpump.jpg

Thanks Paul, that look nice and clean. Too bad your carb fell over sideways, I can't tell what's missing from my linkage. Think I found the slop in my steering, the front center axle bolt has been replaced with a standard 2 inch, having threads all the way, thus lose in the bushing, plus the bushing wasn't though both pieces of iron so the 5/8 bolt was floppin in the bushing size hole. Just got home from getting a # 8 bolt..MPH

Peter, Every once in a while when I'm working on a tractor and things aren't going well I have to stop and remind myself that this is fun. My cue to remind myself is when I start hearing @#$^%^!!!&*$$$###@*** coming out of my mouth..MadManX

Sure will be glad when manuals get here. Trying to figure out how the cable is suppose to hook to the carb. Is there some sort of a double action lever I'm missing??cable end moves the wrong direction for the carb which I can't find anyplace to hook it to on anyway. sure idles nice and is snappy when I goose the governer arm by hand. a pic would be great help if anybody has one handy.. Thanks..MPH

Marty: I understand how you feel when you actually accomplish a goal that's been starin' you in the face. I would like to say "Congratulations on your find!" now, as I have not yet taken the time to do so. You make me want a Powermax even more than I did, and I must say it sounds like it would have been a good deal, even down "in the states," at the price you paid, even if it was just the 4040, let alone your second tractor in the bargain. Enjoy and don't stress. As you know, the answers are usually just a few keystrokes away in this "club", so don't forget to enjoy the ride. Peter

ON EBAY ONAN CCKB MAJOR SERVICE MAN. AND PARTS N/R Item # 2012705301 ONAN CCKB MAJOR SERVICE MANUAL AND PARTS CATALOG FOR 20 GARDEN TRACTOR SERVICE,CONTAINS SPECIFICATIONS AND MUCH MORE.OTHER BASIC MODELS IN HERE ARE CCKB-MS/2420H,CCKM-MS/2440H AND CCKB-MS/2733J thought this might intrest you Maynard aka/ucd