Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
laytonlight

Landlord Front Tire Choice

laytonlight

Wanted to get some opinions here on which of these tires would work well on the 2012 for steering while snow plowing but at the same time, not damage the lawn too much when doing other chores. I won't be cutting grass with it, just hauling, driveway grading, plowing, and tilling. Also, if I wind up getting the AGs, which way do you orient the "V" on the tread? I have Ags on the back. Thanks!

59924a8580e1c_FrontTires.thumb.jpg.de5b67285f1af4db10a67a6567896adb.jpg

Brettw

I have a set of the ATV tires on the front for winter use and they work great.  As they are thinner they also turn more easily on turf.  They did not seem to be too rough on the lawn, but I go back to turfs in the summer.  The ATV's however, are taller overall.  And they do rub on the drag link in tight left hand turns.

• Like 1

BLT

I salvaged two sets of 4.00/4.80-8 "Sno-hogs" off of scrapped snowblowers, tubed them and mounted on 4" rims and then used ATV tires on 6" rims . Ended up leaving them on year around. Had no problem mowing grass. Did not see noticeable tire marks. I had on 42" mower deck.

101_4107.JPG

winter 12 22 13 b.jpg

• Like 2

Talntedmrgreen

I have not had a chance to try snowblower/atv type tires up front, but would imagine they are a good choice and aren't too awful on turf.  I do run AG's on my (now dedicated) snowplow machine, the B-110.  Running them in the traditional orientation would work against you on snow...you may as well soap up bald turfs.  Reversing them gives an incredible increase in steering control.  When you turn, the end of each V-bar is perpendicular to the path you are travelling...they point into the snow like an spike and bite extremely aggressively.  I have found nothing that helps turning in slick conditions better than this.  The worst lack of steering control happens when you blade or blower is on the ground (lightening front end weight/pressure) and turning simultaneously.  I add front wheel weights to help counter this and when combined with the reversed AG's, there is a night and day difference.  I think you would need to go to front tire chains to beat it.  The flip side is, you will do a number on turf, in a hurry.  I think you would do real well to flip the wheels (changing the orientation of the V-pattern) before doing your seasonal turf work, and the affect would be nilch. 

A good compromise is the tri-ribs.  They give a significant improvement in snow and loose soil steering, while also lightening the steering feel on hard surfaces.  They can 'cut' soft turf on a hard, fast turn, but don't really displace the soil.  I like these as an all purpose tire and would buy them over AG's any day.  I also GREATLY prefer the look.  Front AG's on a 2WD tractor look silly to me, and reversed like they ought to be, they even trip up the front AG-lovers.   
  • Like 1

MikeES

On my tractor with a push blade I have tri-ribs on the front and turfs on the rear with chains.  It steers great even when using some down pressure on the blade.   Much better than the wide turfs on the front.   Because I am on a hill with a blacktop drive ags on the back without chains will not cut it.   Chains on the lug tires do not work well either as the chains sort themselves out between the lugs and provide very little difference. 

I have not tried the tri-ribs on the snowthrower tractor.

• Like 2

laytonlight

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm thinking I'm going to go with the tri-ribs I have to get some old tires off of some rims and prep and paint the rims. But winter is a ways off so that goes on the list. I have chains that I used on the turf tires on it and I checked the height and width in comparison and it looks like they will fit the Ags. I thought I saw somewhere that you could get links to turn regular chains into ones that could be used on Ags that kept the cross chains from dropping into the space between the lugs. I'll have to see if I can find that again. Thanks again.