Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snapped axels

jverhaag

Yes, axels. I snap the right rear axle at the beganing of the month while digging a broken sewer line. Stole a drop housing off the other 4041 (plow tractor) and got the loader up and running so I could finish the sewer project. This afternoon I was backfilling when I snapped the other axle. Identical breaks. 10 feet from where the first one broke.  Right at the hub. So a couple of questions in general and a repair question. 

General question. It's a 4041 with an ark loader. I have the high floatations tires on her and chains. Tires are original, chains have been on her for years. Are the tires and change contributing to her snapping axels. 

Are the high floatations tires good or bad with a loader set up. I have a set of R4 I use for plowing on the other tractor. So I can put on either pair. 

Repair question: I tried pulling the axle out of the bull gear and it won't budge. Tried and broke a big gear puller, tried brass hammers and wooden blocks (broke all the lumber) and tried heating it until it glowed, then use the gear puller and brass hammer while she was hot. It will not come out. I NEED that axle.  Any suggestions or experience with this? 

Last repair question: anyone have axels they want to sell. I'm down two now. I have a parts request in with Sandy's but it never hurts to check around. 

Thanks Crew. 

Didn't hear back from anyone so I worked on the frozen axle from a different angle. I decided that since I couldn't pull the bull gear up, the solution might be to push the axle out. I tried driving it out with wooden blocks but splintered the blocks. Decided I needed to get some weight on it and press it out. As I don't have a press I created one. I put the drop housing up on blocks so that the axle and hub could drop clear of the drop housing. I then jacked up the back of my pick up (96 dodge one ton) getting the one ton axle off the ground. I then moved the blocked drop housing directly under the stinger of the pickup and lower the truck until the wheels were back on the ground but the weight of the truck was transferred thru the stinger to the top of the axle. I then sprayed p.b. blaster into the splines that were seized and let it sit. Even with the weight of the truck and the lubrication it still would not let go. I decided to try some percussive persuasion. I hit the top of the ball on the stinger with a 14lb sledge. It took three hits with the sledge ( hard high hits) and the weight of the truck to break it free. The axle popped out dropped to the ground landing on the flat face of the hub plate. There was not damage to the threads, the plates, the spines or the bearings (which need to be replaced anyway though). It appears that it has neve been apart and after 45 years it was just stuck. It was a alot of work mentally and physically but I was successful. I now have the axle in the drop housing with new bearings, seals and gaskets. Buckled and bolted together. Tomorrow I will swap out the broken housing for the new one and I should be up and running. 

• Like 3

Glad to hear about your repair success. 

Hopefully someone with "loader" knowledge will respond to your tire use questions.

I used the floatation tires on my 620  w/loader , felt they were a little more stable than others. Just my $.02

Edited by 720nut

Man, that sounds like a job and a half. Glad it worked.

I  just went through a similar fix although I didn't have the issue you did with getting the axle out. Per my other post I have a complete 4041 drop housing (with bull gear) if you're interested. Mine has the 4040 axles so I need them to match.

I'll have to let you know on the tire set up as I just got mine running again. I have loaded ag tires on mine.

I would be interested in the 4041 housing. I assume that the axle is there or is that the one you snapped. I have two drop housing in serviceable condition but I am missing the axle and hub. I have the seals, the bearings, and drop housing gasket. I'm just missing the "wheel holder -oner doodad" :) 

You can pm. Me to talk shop. 

Thank you.