Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116h restore suggestions?

hurleyii

Ok guys where do I start? First you guys should know it's getting a 21hp Vangaurd when it's finished. 

My first thought is the sunstrand hydro. What should I do with that.

BGB has to be rebuilt for sure I already checked the play.

P.S. I am looking for an anniversary hood guys

Edited by hurleyii

Does the hydro work properly? Is it leaking? If its working and not leaking, I'd leave it alone, just make sure its up to date on fluid changes.

11 hours ago, hurleyii said:

P.S. I am looking for an anniversary hood guys

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the hoods are slightly different between the 7100 series and the later "Sov18" (75th Ann type);  it won't be a "bolt-it-on" fit.

And I agree with Chris, if the hydro doesn't have any problem, a fluid and filter change is the most I would do. 

As to the BGB, finding a good replacement might be a more cost effective "fix" depending on what you find when you open it up.

2 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the hoods are slightly different between the 7100 series and the later "Sov18" (75th Ann type);  it won't be a "bolt-it-on" fit.

And I agree with Chris, if the hydro doesn't have any problem, a fluid and filter change is the most I would do. 

As to the BGB, finding a good replacement might be a more cost effective "fix" depending on what you find when you open it up.

I honestly don't know anything except she's fairly clean. I've never done anything to try and get this one running . I was told she had a knock when she was parked and that she was garage kept till the neighbor gave it to him . So she's been outside for about 4 years now. 

Update on it's status. 

I went and picked up a set of battery terminal connectors to replace the rusted out ones . 

Hooked battery up and pulled the spark  plug and it cranked over good. Checked compression and it's 130 psi. Checked spark and it had real good spark so I sprayed starting fluid in it and it fired right up. So tomorrow I will hook up the gas tank and see what she will do.  At this point I couldn't tell huh good the engine actually was as far as any knocking !

P.S. what's the compression supposed to be for the single cylinder Briggs? 

Edited by hurleyii

Well an update on the engine. She for sure has a bad rod . I hooked up a gas tank and drove her around the yard , hydro seems to work fine. Found a plug in back tire that's leaking I'm going to pull that put another one in and I think add a little more gas and hook the 42" deck up and test the pto and fear box the rest of the way. 

Ok after a little more gas and  a mower deck everything operates as it should. My only question is after a little bit of time the hydro had a little wine that I've not noticed on any of my other tractors. Any thoughts on that guys?

Does your hydro have the short filter mounted on the left side? If so they typically have the shorter filter which can be more of a whiner than those with the  big filter. I remember Al Eden posted about that years ago. 

Air in the system can cause whine also.   Check level and be sure to vent while filling to get to the proper level.  130# is great compression for the Briggs,  almost too good.  Maybe the head has been shaved a little, or a copper head gasket...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MikeES said:

Air in the system can cause whine also.   Check level and be sure to vent while filling to get to the proper level.  130# is great compression for the Briggs,  almost too good.  Maybe the head has been shaved a little, or a copper head gasket...

Yeah Mike, I've never had one with more than maybe 110.  

5 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Yeah Mike, I've never had one with more than maybe 110.  

Wow really my 3215s has 125, it's been rebuilt supposedly.