Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big Ten project

Chris727

I bought this Big Ten through an online auction earlier this year and had it shipped in from PA.  I think it having dual lift and Hi-Lo flew under the radar. The seller had a friend with an auction company who delivered it to me for $100.

IMG_7194.thumb.jpg.3931746ec6f85c9f3f532bc2c703d562.jpg

IMG_7196.thumb.jpg.de3c07615b2672d2f1ce1beb2b132d3a.jpg

The deck was junk and I have already stripped it down. I figured the tractor would be rough enough that I would just keep the RH lift and sell off everything else. It was very low on oil and it was terribly dirty. It literally had chunks of something in it. Absolutely the worst I had ever seen. The carburetor was missing the welch plug and the tank had a little rust inside but nothing terrible. The right front tire was in need of replacement. I spent 5 hours working on installing a spare tire and wheel, when the dust cap failed to come off It had never been removed in the tractor's 50+ years. So much for repacking the bearings annually. The carb was rougher than what I wanted to repair so I installed another one I had. I cleaned out the tank as best I could. I changed the oil twice and the second time I put Rotella in it per some suggestions. I ran it for 48 minutes on Sunday and it didn't use much oil if any. Its really a testament to the durability of the Cast Iron Briggs. It doesn't knock either, but still could use a rebuild to make it perfect.  IMG_7563.thumb.jpg.db6396841498156fdd3717509c5ca6f5.jpg

I had initially removed the RH lift to use on the B-12. The Hi-Lo didn't work correctly but I have found part of the problem was the trans input shaft was walking outward of the trans case by maybe 3/8" when using shifting into 1st or 3rd so I can only use 2nd and reverse until I tear it apart and fix it. I swapped an original paint hood onto it, as well as a better AC emblem for the grille. I have both original dust caps for the wheels that came with it. Will probably fix it up and keep it. Have to do something about that seat, though it is comfy.  

IMG_7654.thumb.jpg.4079bf60b1adfeb811559579ff322391.jpg

Not sure how much I will detail this one up. Will probably put a Bowman muffler on it. 

IMG_7800.thumb.jpg.3faf586f51f9cc0e7694b1494597d2ff.jpg

• Like 6

Nice resurrection on that one.

Very impressive work to save the ol girl from extinction.

The more work to bring them back from the brink the bigger the satisfaction.

ENJOY 

NICE WORK.

• Like 2

I admire your "get-it-done" energy.  After cherry picking parts, I would have thought that one was headed to the scrapper. 

Great save.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

More progress over the weekend. The ugly seat is gone. Removed the rear fenders and polished them and the seat deck. Starting to look presentable.?IMG_7970.thumb.JPG.7d449caa872e79152b07e16c03bb509c.JPGIMG_7951.thumb.JPG.614ce7afab75b84dad2d0d91c318e942.JPGIMG_7968.thumb.JPG.015b60059c5b1381d2d90350fea1a33e.JPG

• Like 1

That ugly seat gave it character Chris! Keep it up & you've got a nice looking old Big 10 added to your hoard (or herd). 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, B-16_IC said:

That is coming along nicely! I have the same muffler on my 916 I'm using currently, decent sound. 

Thank You Rich. Yes the muffler does sound good, but the tube is loose and coming out of it. I have a Bowman muffler I'm going to put on it if I ever get the pipe out of the block. 

Edited by Chris727

23 hours ago, spi said:

Sure takes a lot to ruin them, doesn't it.

I don't have the heart to part out fairly complete tractors anymore. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• WardM
    • tripleguy
    • TheFlash300
    • AC710
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site maintenance scheduled to begin 10a CDT on 3/16/24
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts