Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homelite T-12

rfsmith1952

There is probably an obvious answer for this but I would like to be sure. The tractor is a Homelite T-12, Allis Built. The question is the belt tensioner on the front hitch (mule drive): Forward on the tension arm tightens the belt, reverse loosens the belt?

Yes, that sounds correct...the mule drive there will be spring loaded forward, putting tension on the belt and pulling it away from the deck.

I agree with Josh assuming your T-12 is an early model with the flat plate mule drive:

HomeSnow_0002.jpg.70f67a8c18327b99f60990aa2cd04af1.jpg

In this view of the front of the tractor, the left pulley is tensioned forward by a spring.  The ball that's to the left is used to un-tension the belt for belt installation.  The right pulley has manual adjustment bolts/nuts to keep the pulleys aligned as the belt ages/stretches.  Page 10 of the Homelite Rotary Mower Op/Parts manual explains it.  If you don't have a copy of the manual, I scanned it and made it available in the "Downloads" section of the site:

https://simpletractors.com/files/file/64-homelite-rotary-mower-op-and-parts/

The newer AC built Homelite has a different mule drive that can be seen in this pic:

13Apr_1.jpg.9959209417239bce716ba87623981894.jpg

I don't know how it tensions.

I don't think there was a late T-12, was there?  Thought the T-12 and T-15 lacked a late variant?  I could be wrong...I can't find either one!

The late style mule has a release button and large wing style screw tension adjuster as well. It stuck me as much more like the mule on an allis 300/400.  These are the only photos of my T-16S (late) that I can find, that show any part of the mule.  You can see the tension adjust screw.

20130830_124605.jpg

Image result for talntedmrgreen T-16

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

I don't think there was a late T-12, was there?  Thought the T-12 and T-15 lacked a late variant?  I could be wrong...I can't find either one!

You are probably correct.  I know the T-15 was short lived, maybe only 1 or 2 years before it became a T-16.  Most likely the T-12 disappeared when the T-15 became a T-16. 

I have 2 original Homelite Tractor parts manuals, the oldest being Part #24639 and newest being Part #24639-3.  Based on the "-3", I assume there were two other versions in between.  The first is for "T-10, T-12, & T-15" tractors, the second for "T-10, T-16S, T-16H" tractors.  Both cover graphics show the "flat" plate mule drive. 

I've never found any late model manuals, for tractors or mowing decks.  I assume the IPL for the late model mule is with the mower deck, same as the early model mule IPL is with the mower deck.

Interesting.  On my computer i had downloaded an electronic T16 parts manual and it has bothe frame/axle variants shown.  It doesnt call out the versions or a serial number break etc however.  I only noticed in the images.