Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

finally picked up a garden tractor, 912H

nitsuj.stauder

Well i finally picked up my first tractor after gaining some interest over the past few years. Overall seem to be in great shape, engine runs good, and with some minor tlc should be back to great condition soon. I have been looking for quite a while for one but most ive come across have been to far gone, priced to high, or out of reach for my mechanical ability. This one should fit the bill as i start down the path of learning ha. A few questions.....

1. Any thing major i should watch out for. Currently eveything seems pretty tight, but there is a some hydro fluid here and there but nothing "dripping". 

2. Any leads on a gas cap and float? from pictures ive seen of other models there was a gauge, that is lacking on this one.

3. Any leads on a front blade? Ive talked to a guy on CL with one he said fit, but it needed and adapter. I have not come across any info on said adapter so im a little wary. Im in VA by the way. 

4. Mower deck seems to be in good shape and runs fine, but it appears there  was some sort of shoot on the end that may be missing by the empty holes. Any idea if its missing or are there just extra holes for some reason?

Thanks for the help guys, cant wait to dive in. 

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

Deck looks complete to me. I haven't seen them with "shoes" on. The holes may have been for the "turbo" vac attachment that was available for some of these machines.

A replacement gas cap with gauge can be purchased off of ebay. Search for Simplicity gas cap, and measure how deep your fuel tank is to get the right one.

I'd have to see what you mean by hydro fluid leakage. There is a small vent on the left-hand side of the transmission that needs to be free.  You can pull up on the little center part that sticks up to make sure it isn't stuck. If it sticks down, it can pressurize the transmission causing leakage.

Very nice looking machine. First thing to do is pull your battery and gas tank. Make sure there's no critters that chewed your wiring or made any best causing excess moisture and rust. Spray that area out with a garden hose to rinse any battery acid down. Personally I use a pressure washer on the whole tractor at this point. 

Take some PB blaster and spray the heck out of all the steering componets in there. Change oil, and look underneath the tractor for grease fittings.  There should be 6 total on the whole tractor if I remember correctly.  That does not include attachments.  

Check and or grease front wheel bearings, change bevel gear box oil , and change hydro filter and fluid. Change spark plug , clean and adjust points, and fuel filter. 

Don't worry much about the missing deck chute but if you want one for looks or safety you can place a Classified https://simpletractors.com/classifieds/category/7-wanted-parts/. Nice looking 912H and welcome to our club! I've personally found $10/yr membership really valuable as almost anything that can happen to these machines already has, its been mechanically repaired by someone, and that repair quite likely has been chronicled. Once you master the search option you're research is unlimited. And remember, its helpful to have a support group like ours for this addiction we refer to as a hobby. 

Fuel gauge caps are available at Simplicity dealers, Amazon, or Ebay. I believe pn  2171252 will get you the correct replacement fuel gauge. 

• Like 3

What a beauty , u will love it .

You should have the filter and pre filter .

change oils and put it to work .

Regarding oil leak , wash tranny good and do what suggested above , if u still have the leak then will be easy to detect .

Very nice looking first tractor. Be ready...cause now you will be on the look out for others.  They are hard to find in as nice as condition as yours...

Welcome. Great group of people here. 

• Like 1

Was that the one off eBay?  Excellent cosmetic condition. They are hard to find that nice. It must have always been kept inside. Keep it waxed. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the club, Justin!  Very nice looking tractor, appears to be in great shape.  You found one that's about as clean as they get at that age.  That is probably a late 70's early 80's tractor.  As usual, fluids and filters and keep after the oil changes and you will be good to go.  There is an available deck chute, but you rarely see them on because they are steel and bolted in place. They aren't like a flexible plastic chute or a spring loaded that folds out of the way, so they prevent you from getting close to stuff on that side of the deck.  Hence, most people remove them. (I know my dad did 50 years ago, and so has just about everybody else since!)   Front blades should not need any "adaptor".  It will need the mounting bracket, but that is part of the blade package.  If it's just the blade itself, you will need the mounting bracket and lift rod at a minimum, and if it is a remote turn blade there is a setup for that too.  There are two types of available blades.  One is a basic solid mounted blade that can be pinned straight, left, or right. The other is a spring loaded blade that can fold over when something is hit or too mush force to push with.  The spring loaded have a few other detents for the angle you may wish to set up at, and some have a remote handle to allow for that adjustment.   If you are using a blade for snow, the spring loaded is fine and perhaps the better choice.  For dirt or grading, the solid mounted blade is better, IMO.  Neither one is great for moving hard ground however.  It's not like pushing dirt with a D8 Cat!   If you are looking for moving snow, there is always blower attachments available too.  They work excellently.  

Again, welcome.  You will find vast amounts of information and support here, and a great bunch of guys who share a passion regarding these tractors.

• Like 2

Welcome, the best ten bucks you can spend all year. Sounds like everyone has all maintenance issues covered so enjoy your purchase and keep it inside as it certainly has been for the last 30 or so years in that good of condition.. There would have been a deflector on the deck, it probably went away about 1983 as they stick out a ways and get crunched  or just removed for space reasons, they come up frequently on Ebay or post a wanted add here and see if anyone has one they would part with.

Sweeeeet 

Nice machine.  Welcome to the club.

Be sure you order the correct length fuel gauge.  There is one long and one shorter one available on Ebay.

Great looking tractor, rare to find in such great condition.  There is hardly any wear on the running boards, the previous owner much have mowed with only his socks on. 

The fuel cap/gauge is part # 217125SM.  They are about $13 at the simplicity dealer and on line.  On new ones the float is a little larger in diameter, you may need to trim the plastic back very slightly on the very top lip of the fuel tank inlet.  Even if the float drags a little going in, it will work just fine once in the tank.

Thanks for the feed back guys, much appreciated. It was a local find close to home so it worked out pretty well.  Cleaned it up a bit this weekend, and started getting all the lube stuff done. I was looking through the manual and i have few questions about some of the the maintenance, specifically the types of hydro fluids to do a change. Anybody have a favorite that takes the place of the called for allis chalmers 821 fluid, and should the same be used in in the bevel gear box? 

The bevel gear box will use a 75/90 gear oil, the hydro will can use a few different fluids, but a good dextron works well and has given me no grief ever.   This question comes up off and on, and it is generally agreed that you can use the Simplicity hydro fluid and go broke, or other all purpose hydraulic fluid, regular 30 weight oil, or the ATF's such as Dextron IV or V.  

WOW Justin - you started out with a beautiful machine!  Congrats.

You will get a tremendous amount of information about your questions on this site.  

Welcome to the best website for these little gems!

• 3 weeks later...

ok guys, thanks for the feedback. I started doing a few thing this past weekend but ran into a snag. I pulled the tank, cleaned it out and changed out the tank bushing as well as filter, and also changed out the gas filter and lines. Got it all back together and nothing, won't fire. Its turing over fine but it appears gas isn't getting to the motor. Does this engine need to be primed of sorts anything special. It ran fine before the above improvements so I'm not sure whats going on. Any ideas? Thanks.

Is the arrow on the filter pointing toward the carb? Also, undo the filter and see if you are getting fuel to that point...try cranking it over with it off and see if you are getting fuel to that point.

it must be something simple.

11 hours ago, jimmystractor said:

Is the arrow on the filter pointing toward the carb? Also, undo the filter and see if you are getting fuel to that point...try cranking it over with it off and see if you are getting fuel to that point.

it must be something simple.

yes, filter is set right and fuel is flowing

Spark is good. Any secret way to take the bowl off the carb? I wanted to go ahead and drop that down and see if something was stuck in there and if fuel was making it to that point. I took the nut off the bottom of the bowl but the bowl wont drop down, but it will spin in place. i didn't want to pry it down for fears of bending it. Does it need to line up a certain way to drop freely or what am i missing. Thanks for the help guys.