Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116h restore paint?

hurleyii

Ok so I have found the Simplicity paint for the Orange and I've confirmed the white is a perfect match to Wimbledon white . 

I've also have several 900 series Allis tractors and I figured I'd do at least two tractors at once one of each. 

The question at hand is do they use the same paint?  I also found Persion Orange number two listed on an Allis sight for 1960-1990. Is that just for the big tractors.

Also how much paint in Orange would it take to do a simplicity and how much would an Allis take  in you guys experience? Simplicity paint is 60.00 a quart as opposed to a gallon of implement paint from Dupount, lets say 70 plus hardner or the hardware store paint that's 30.00. 

Any good or bad experiences with paints would be great to hear to such as gas melting the paint. 

Thanks for all the help guys and yes I know I have to renew my membership asap! Lol 

20170820_151749.jpg

20170820_151738.jpg

20170820_151732.jpg

Edited by hurleyii
Pics
  • Like 1

jimmystractor

I don't want to be that annoying guy...but that looks like a pretty clean tractor already. You could alway buff it and rattle can the wheels. I would be willing to bet you would have a VERY clean looking tractor if you went that route. They are only original once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmystractor said:

I don't want to be that annoying guy...but that looks like a pretty clean tractor already. You could alway buff it and rattle can the wheels. I would be willing to bet you would have a VERY clean looking tractor if you went that route. They are only original once.

The hood has to be redone and the seat pan, both are cracked 

That looks like about an 1983 tractor.  By then the Simplicity and AC were using the same orange (or so close you can't tell the difference).   I have found that the closest hardware store paint is Kubota Orange #2.  All the AC Ag colors that the hardware stores sell are not close, but once the whole tractor is done, who can tell. 

Here is my color template of some of the common hardware/farm store paints.   The left is closest to the 900 series AC and the right is the closest to the older Simplicity Deep Orange.

P1020132.JPG

Left to right

Old 55 Kubota Orange #2, Valspar AC Silver can, Rustoleum AC, Van Sickle AC, Duplicolor Chev Engine Orange 1620, Duplicolor Chev Engine Orange 200,  Valspar AC, Simplicity Powder Orange #1685591, Old 55 Persian Orange #2, Duplicolor Chev Engine Orange 1607, Simplicity Deep Orange #1685611

Edited by MikeES
  • Like 2

Has anybody purchased duplicolor tractor paint from am auto part store. It's 46.00 a gallon plus 30 bucks or so for the hardner  no paint chip samples just considered allis chalmers Orange? 

• 3 weeks later...

Well I ordered the Orange A.C. paint from the auto paint supply house. Supposedly it's made by duplicolor and has a hardner! 

What about the Black is that a gloss or a Satin!?