Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Size Nut to Thread on to Cable Housing

laytonlight

From what I understand in reading here and watching some of Zippos videos, a nut should be able to thread on to cable like this for properly running it through the bracket (yellow circle) and using the nuts to adjust the throttle and lock it in place. You can see how the PO had it run (red circle) and I want to eliminate that and run it properly but for the life of me I've looked and can't find a nut that will thread on the cable. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

WP_20170825_11_29_39_Pro-sm.jpg.cca9923d9883572e3da8fb8798b2a863.jpg

WP_20170730_14_32_26_Pro-sm.jpg.680a7bc7e2e01fa3f6c198dec9726cdc.jpg

Checked on Briggs' site and came up with this:

691027  Nut | (Control Wire Casing)  $6.05

Does that sound right? Six dollars for one nut. Geeze, Briggs, thanks for not gouging the little guy...

Found some on Ebay for $4.65 each with free shipping. Looking at the pictures there I can see why nothing else works. It's a really wide threading to fit the cable wrapping. Bought four of them as I have Briggs 16 HP that I plan on doing the same thing to. Thanks for the help Tom.

• Like 1

Hmmm, I pretty sure all the Simplicity OEM Briggs engines I've had have throttle cables ran as you shown in your first pic - a 90 deg metal bracket screwed to the top of the inlet manifold with a Bowden clip holding the throttle cable in the desired location.  Here's a few pics from a 7016H and 3416H:

IMG_8975c.JPG.c5087f979a5a0528ae06f4c5a81198a1.JPG

IMG_7238a.jpg.18daecb6f8950475be741cc99a754798.jpg

IMG_7240a.thumb.jpg.505a312db2befb012bf3afec23c7e976.jpg

And the 3416H Parts IPL:

59a3180ad6f59_ThrotleCableParts.JPG.b389b6746c60ba3bdb1ef13ee58ae339.JPG

Maybe what you describe (and Zippo's video) is the "Briggs" method rather than Simplicity?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Hmmm, I pretty sure all the Simplicity OEM Briggs engines I've had have throttle cables ran as you shown in your first pic - a 90 deg metal bracket screwed to the top of the inlet manifold with a Bowden clip holding the throttle cable in the desired location. Maybe what you describe (and Zippo's video) is the "Briggs" method rather than Simplicity?

I think you are correct in that assessment, but it just seemed a better way or more accurate way to do it as far as making adjustments in the throttle. I wanted to run new, lubed cables anyway so I thought I would do it the way Zippo had shown. 

7 hours ago, jlasater said:

Perfect reason to own a small metal lathe :-) Easy with a little boring bar and threading tool.

I'll put that on my Harbor Freight list. LOL

Oh no...you can do a LOT better than hazard freight! Shop around and find a good used lathe, and invest in a QC toolpost. They are soooooo much nicer than the old style tool posts.

2 hours ago, jlasater said:

Oh no...you can do a LOT better than hazard freight! Shop around and find a good used lathe, and invest in a QC toolpost. They are soooooo much nicer than the old style tool posts.

Agreed! $500 will get you a nice South bend 9" Jr.  I've had mine for years.  Does anything I need to do.

Lathe is the cheap part.  Attachments & tooling really ads up though.