Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
DaveTenney

Restore or not...

DaveTenney

I've got a tough decision to make.. whether to leave this old girl alone or make it look like new.

I put this tractor together over the last week or so. I have had the hi-lo, the hydro, and the light bar for years. In fact the tractor has been sitting in pieces in the barn for a long time as well. 

It was a lot of fun putting it together. I had to cut the input shaft on the transmission to get the hi-lo to fit.

I used a steering box from a big 10 to replace the separate adjustable gears on these early tractors. I should have taken pictures of the process. I cut the yoke off the original gear and welded it on the stearing shaft. A picture would be worth a thousand words here.

I put the hydro in as well. I had Napa make up some new lines. $80 later I was ready to continue. The only major issue I had with the hydro was replacing the old rubber drive shaft mount and getting all the spacers right. 

I put together a charging system out of a big box of miscellaneous parts I had in the shop. Went through several voltage regulators until I got one to work.

I haven't got to the headlights yet...and the seat looks pretty rough. It runs like a top though!

I put a deck on it too test it and work out the bugs. I gotta say that this 1956 23 motor, which is only rated at 8.4 hp, feels like a 10hp. 

So now that I have it running and working right, I'm reluctant to tear it back apart for painting!

Dave

IMG_20170826_170730539.jpg

IMG_20170826_170746211.jpg

• Like 1

hurleyii

Well I would take into consideration anything you want to change on it if you have anything. Then I'd restore it.

I'm doing a modified restore on my 7116h . That is if I can stop getting all these other must have repairs so I actually have the time.

Brettw

At this point, it sounds like keeping it "original" isn't really an option.  So if it's mechanically great, I would "restore" it so it doesn't rust, and, I have found when I do this, I end up taking enough apart to properly clean and paint, that I find misc. little stuff that could use repair or replacement.  So in the end you will end up with a great tractor that should work hard and last for years.

• Like 1

Alltractoredup

I'm kinda with B10Dave.  You seem excited that all your trial and error,  customizing and hard work has really paid off.  I think I would enjoy it for awhile before tearing into it any further.  If it were me, I would be sure I have the mindset and time to complete the restore or it may never happen....

• Like 2

DaveTenney

I'm with B10Dave as well. I think I'm going to leave it alone until next year. I have an engine rebuild and swap to do for my wife's 712, and that is enough of a project right now...I used it last night, and mechanically it is a really nice machine!

Thanks for the comments!

gwiseman
1 hour ago, DaveTenney said:

I'm with B10Dave as well. I think I'm going to leave it alone until next year. I have an engine rebuild and swap to do for my wife's 712, and that is enough of a project right now...I used it last night, and mechanically it is a really nice machine!

Thanks for the comments!

Good decision in my opin. I'm a fan of "original condition".  

Talntedmrgreen

I think you would be very surprised at what a little elbow grease will do to that finish.  She just needs a cleaning!  Rub out the paint a bit and it will look so nice that you won't feel the need to paint.  Plus, that process you can do at your leisure, small bits at a time.  Paint can really pop back, and I find that the dirtier they are, the nicer the paint keeps underneath.

Simplicity7013H

I would have to agree with Josh on this one. My 64 Landlord looked terrible when I got it it was dirty, rusted and faded. So I was actually planning on repainting it and ended up only painting the dash and the wheels. I used a good compound and buffed and buffed and got a great shine out of the 50+ year old paint. 

DaveTenney

I might give that a try. With a little inspiration from Josh, I rubbed out my 3410 and it did make it look a lot better. This landlord has some rust spots on the hood that are through the paint. Not sure what to do about those...

bowhunt4life

start with a water and soap bath, let dry. Get some barkeepers friend, mix into a watery paste, scrub a section at a time, rinse with water (don't let it dry) and then wax and boom. Below are pictures of my B12 and B207 that got the same treatment I mentioned.

20170423_163932.jpg

20170411_174134.jpg

11.jpg

20170818_183423.jpg