Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Installed power steering on the 7119/20

Brettw

I have the mushroom weights for the front wheels, so I may end up installing them, but these HD tillers do weigh so much that when they are raised it's just like having power steering.

• Like 1

I have that same PS unit myself.  Haven't used it since the 720 moved in 2008.  

I'm curious how you ran the lift cable though.  According to the installation instructions you are supposed to run it the other direction over the rock shaft so when you move the lever forward it lifts.  I never had mine installed that way as I never had the instructions when I had it installed. 

The lift cable is set up the same as all of the Sovereigns.  I don't believe you can run it any other way?  Perhaps is it different on a 720 Powermax series?  I call this a 7119-7120 because it is repowered with an M20 instead of the KT19, maybe thats the confusion.  Sorry about that.

Yes Bill that is it!

Thank you for posting that.

I've had a few phone discussions regarding this topic.  I never knew this when I had my 38 mounted to my 712 with electric lift.  I had it mounted in the conventional way as most people who have these do.  Do you think its to reduce the stress on the cable, or remove the stress from the pulley?

Interesting info Bill, I am now better informed Shaun!  In this case, I am still hooked up correctly because of the 38" tiller.  Which, by the way was put to use today.  That thing is a beast, nooooo questions about it.  And the M20 doesn't even grunt at half throttle.  A little understeer though.d:)

7 hours ago, ShaunE said:

Do you think its to reduce the stress on the cable, or remove the stress from the pulley?

I'm guessing either the pulley can't take the stress (since only the "hub" is used without pulley) or they wanted the heavy lifting to be the opposite direction for the cylinder (more power or less chance of binding??). 

After reading this better, it appears I am not hooked up correctly.  I misread this in my haste.  It may very well have to do with the stress because of the weight.  For as often as I use a tiller, and the little areas I have to till when I do, I kind of miss the 36".  It was a lot easier to move around and pin up.  That being said, the 38" is a lot easier on the whole system if for nothing more than its weight. It doesn't bounce around nearly as much.

Bear up in Omro went thru the same thing with how to hook up.  He has the 38 inch tiller and was breaking cables regularly until he hooked up the way the book shows.  We were just talking about this a couple of days ago.  Not sure what the mechanics of it are, but I know cable breakage is the reason.

Steve

• Who's Online (See full list)

• A-C_220
    • PhanDad
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts