Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

48" deck operation question

Alltractoredup

Here is the deck from my recently picked up Sovereign package.  The previous owner did some handy work to the deck baffle as shown.  Anybody know if this would negatively affect the correct operation of the deck?  I want to repair it to resemble the OEM setup if need be to work right

20170827_164156.jpg

20170827_164146.jpg

20170827_164139.jpg

Shouldn't affect the cutting of grass or discharge but without the anti-scalp rollers it may help level your lawn and would work great for leveling off gopher and mole mounds. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MikeES said:

Shouldn't affect the cutting of grass or discharge but without the anti-scalp rollers it may help level your lawn and would work great for leveling off gopher and mole mounds. 

Also will level off the ears of any baby bunnies that may poke their heads up out of the nest.O.o

• Like 2

We don't have a real nice lawn, but all my little A.C. mowers have the mid rollers in the deck and I can go from the ditch to the drive way or road without scalping. I have a Toro that I bought new in 2000 that will scalp if I try that. (Bought the Toro before I decided to buy and mow with 50 year old tractors) 

• Like 1

Looks like I will restore it back to original.  Luckily I dont have much an issue for pests, but when I do I know now how to use my mower as a pest control methodsm03

• Like 2

23 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

Also will level off the ears of any baby bunnies that may poke their heads up out of the nest.O.o

I hit a baby rabbit this spring and was surprised by how much I was affected by it. sm02 (I was also surprised by how little blood there was in him.)

4 hours ago, dhoadley said:

I hit a baby rabbit this spring and was surprised by how much I was affected by it. sm02 (I was also surprised by how little blood there was in him.)

I would probably feel the same guilt

12 hours ago, Alltractoredup said:

I would probably feel the same guilt

I am a hunter but hitting bunnies is not high on my list either. 

8 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

I am a hunter but hitting bunnies is not high on my list either. 

Same.  Animals in season and for food is one thing.  I hunt/eat all sorts of things, including rabbits, but hitting one with the mower always hits pretty hard.  Same feeling when something gets hit with a car and goes to waste.

A clean kill doesn't bother me much. Suffering...that's a whole different story. Getting hit by a mower would probably be over pretty quick, fortunately.

A bunny had made a nest in a very shallow pocket in our yard and it was covered with grass and fur...blended in really well. I only noticed it when I passed by pretty closely with the mower and the critters inside moved a bit. We left that spot for a couple weeks until they were gone.