Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

DaveE

PTO belt tightener arm tab angle

DaveE

I am trying to get a Sovereign 18 hp machine going.  Sometime in the past someone has bent the tabs on the belt tightener arm for the PTO belt. Burned out one belt before I noticed this.    There are two places on the arm for the pulley to go depending on the attachment installed.  Does the bottom tab go straight out flat from the arm and about what angle does the top tab get bent to go to the mower deck..  The other problem I may have is if the whole arm has been bent. I have bent the top tab to make it run straight to the mower deck but not sure about the bottom tab when snow blower is used   It would be great if someone has a picture of the arm showing the correct angle of these tabs. Thanks

Bought this about a month ago and am slowly fixing multiple issues.  It hasn't had a good life but seems to be running better now.

dhoadley

That Sovereign is a great machine and should be well worth the effort, depending on what's wrong and general condition. Pictures are the best way to get help, 'cause these guys see things I would never notice. Welcome & Enjoy, Dave

PhanDad

Here are some pics of the 7100 series mid PTO parts (the tranny drive idler is also in the pics):

59a81d98bb8e8_7100SeriesPTOParts1.thumb.jpg.992c0f855bc0b9a1a9cb4a07dbdbcd15.jpg

59a81d9bbe917_7100SeriesPTOParts2.thumb.jpg.fb76168036dc9e9810e8563662cc42f0.jpg

I'm not near my tractors ATM, but I believe the arm is perpendicular to the shaft.  Sometimes the shaft/hole wears such that the arm doesn't hang exactly vertical.  The tab closest to the shaft is bent the most and is for the mower.  Note the tab is bent to align the belt to the edge of the drive pulley, not the center line of the arbor. I believe it's the right side (as viewed sitting in the tractor seat) of the pulley. 

• Like 1

DaveE

Ok Thanks. Maybe the best option is to mount the blower and start bending, if necessary, until it looks straight.  The mower seems to be working OK now.  I had to find a shorter spacer between the arm and the pulley.  Belt is running in the center of the pulley now.