Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Do I have a tractor with an Incorrect mule drive?

macallis180

Have an HB 212 with hydraulic lift recently purchased.  Previous owner had a mule drive he had obtained separate from the tractor, which I got with the deal .  Both pulleys are smaller than on my B-110 and B-112 with manual lifts.

Here is the dilemma:  the mule drive driven pulley is 4" and the largest pulley to drive the mower end of the mule is 3 1/2"  The mounting of the tensioner lever on the tractor seems to be correct for the hydraulic lift as it is different from the ones on my B-110 and B-112 manual lifts.

What have I got?, and does anyone know what belts will fit - as they will be greatly different from my 2 other tractors.  This would be a belt from the 5" BGB to mule, as well as the mule to mower.  Deck hub on the 48" center arbor of the very knarly deck I purchased is the same as my 48" B-112 deck.

Thanks for your help.  Seems like I ask for more help with my lack of knowledge than sharing the few hints I can give to fellow owners!  LOL.

Can't help much with your question, but the OEM "hanging PTO" which I think you're calling the "mule drive" are different between the B100 series vs the B200 series.  The B100 series have the driven pulley welded to the shaft vs the B200 series has removable pulleys on both ends as can be see in the B212 parts IPL:

59a9bd401c0b0_Pg32IPL.JPG.5972c08bf55cdb37ec07cf8940255925.JPG

The belt "V" is listed as:   2157683SM BELT, 4L, 29.16"

The BGB pulley "AW" is listed as:   157694 Pulley

Edited by PhanDad
  • Like 1

Yep, looks like what I have. Does your info show length for the twisted belt from PTO to deck?

I can never seem to access the link for the simplicity manuals.

Thanks so much. Trying to get the ratty old deck on the tractor to cut grass!

Here's the link to the manual:

https://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en_us/support/manuals/results.productmanuals.html?searchrequested=2029951

It's a "new" format AC manual and it has the equivalent Simplicity parts numbers, not the old AC part numbers.  It doesn't have a mower deck parts list, but has 42" grader blade and 42" plow/blade parts list.  Odd - so I can't help with belt.

My suggestion is to get the first belt on, then use a piece of 3/8" rope and wrap it around the pulleys.  Measure the length and get a belt that length and try it (be sure you can return it in case you need to trade it for a slightly longer or shorter belt).    

Figures- the items I need weren't part of the manual!  Will get the first belt and try your tactics.

Smart guy, are you - as Yoda would say.

Thanks

It appears the belt is a 46".  Tried a 45", but held the PTO to tractor belt too tight, and mower wanted to be a continious run as long as tractor was running.  Think I noticed some slippage while mowing, but the deck/ arbor belt was quite shaped to the pulleys as the ratty deck had probably been sitting for 25-30 years or so. Only came with  some loose 42" deck belt covers, so those are mounted, but aren't very pretty on top of the deck!  

I was able to free everything up except the one height adjuster, (which I now need,  as I heated, pb'd it many times, broke it twice, welded once, but now broke in the adjuster itself)  The deck belt itself still had the green outside color, and thread look yet inside from new, however, so will have to see.  Mowed for about a half an hour tonight.  Noticed green dust on the top of the mower under the PTO to center arbor belt, so must be wearing this new green Gates belt incorrectly.  It appears the belt needs to run on the smallest outside PTO pulley cause the bigger inside pulley has a knife edge in the middle of it.  Don't know what that's for.

Think I better purchase another 46" belt 'cause don't know how long this one will last!  Still have some fabrication to do on the deck, but does mow.

Thanks, Bill for all your ideas and info.  Couldn't have done this without your help!

Found out from a new Facebook contact that the pulley I need is a 4". Now tracking down a 4"x7/8" bore pulley to finally get my setup correct.

I have a T bolt and a pulley,. stamped steel,  4-1/2" X 7/8" bore with an offset hub for the set screw.. I got the pulley off of a 3212 I parted out long time ago. I also have posted in the downloads section p/n  crossover list that you need M/S Word for . It works either way, just goto "Find" type in number you are looking for and the comparable other number is adjacent to it.

• Like 1