Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What Year Is This?

Smolenski7

I'm thinking about picking up a Prestige off of CL.

I don't know the year it was built, however.  The owner says it's a 2011, but I don't think so.

Model Number:  2690564

Serial Number: 2000745694

It comes with a Kohler Command Pro 25HP.  The build date is 1/29/07.  I don't think it's a stretch to then think the tractor is a 2007 also, unless this isn't the original engine.

Any help would be appreciated.

This illustrates why Simplicity was not big on tracking things by model year. Tractors would often sit in dealer or distributor inventory for a few years before stock was all sold. The price lists in the Allis Chalmers section really illustrate this. Some show the ability for dealers to order two models back, in addition to the current model.

Thanks guys.  The tractor does have some problems too.

1. The PTO made a weird squealing noise when I disengaged it. It certainly was not the belt since I was disengaging the blades, no? It wasn't like anything I've ever heard.

2. I tried to start it up (it was a cold start) with the choke on and the throttle 1/2 way. It wouldn't engage until the owner told me that he never chokes it in warm weather, only in cold weather. At that point I lowered the choke and it started right up. I didn't pay any attention to it until I shut down the engine (Kohler Command Pro 25HP) when a fairly loud puff (an after fire) came from the muffler. The only other time I have heard that same after fire is when I accidentally cut my lawn with my Simplicity Broadmoor with the choke on the whole time. This leads me to believe there is a problem with the choke. Nothing major, but a problem none-the-less. Am I right?

3. Finally the potential big problem.  I took off the air filter to expose the carburetor and to check if there was any problem with the head gaskets, since that is a known issue with the Commands. There was no obvious evidence of the head gaskets being blown, however, there was oil at the bottom of the green foam that makes up the air filter. It actually formed a little puddle. Check out the picture. I know that simply over filling the engine with oil could cause this, but I doubt that's the case.  What else could cause this?  Could it be connected to the after fire I explained above?

Finally, if anyone could give me a ball park figure as to what it might cost to fix any of these problems at my dealer, that would be great. I'm certainly going to try (if I buy it) myself, that would be a lot more fun, but I would love to know an estimate before I make the purchase just in case I get a little over my head.

2017-09-02 15.09.15.jpg

jimmystractor

I think I would pass on it. I'm certainly not trying to pop your balloon but if you are already questioning several things on this one, I would just be patient and buy one where there are no issues. If you check Craig's daily...you will find the one you are seeking.

2 hours ago, jimmystractor said:

I think I would pass on it. I'm certainly not trying to pop your balloon but if you are already questioning several things on this one, I would just be patient and buy one where there are no issues. If you check Craig's daily...you will find the one you are seeking.

Thanks, I do check CL daily.  I have since the spring.

I really like the Broadmoor I have currently, however, this Prestige has power steering and a wider deck.  Both of these will really help me out.  Plus, I think I could get it at a great price, so putting some money into it isn't exactly the worst thing in the world.  What I really want to know is, if I find myself unable to accurate diagnosis the problem, what might it cost to bring it to a dealer.  In fact, the worst case scenario would be to flip it and make a few hundred bucks.

I can't help you with the PTO noise.

Carburetor is what kind?  Keihin or Nikki?  Don't know if the Keihins were used on the vertical shaft Commands or not.  I have a Nikki on a horizontal Triad that I never have to choke unless it has sat over a week.  I have a Keihin on a horizontal Command that has to be choked unless the engine is warm.  Both have a fuel shut-off solenoid to reduce the after-fire potential.  These are closed when the ignition is off but are open when there is 12 VDC applied.  This could be your problem if is hanging up in the open position.  I still idle all engines down for at least 30 seconds before shutting them off to reduce this potential even further.  Both carburetors are easy to clean as long as you are thorough.

The oil in the air-cleaner could be from over-filling, too much oil applied to the pre-filter, or the breather not functioning.  This could be from a reed problem or it may not be there.  Yes I had a reed, reed retainer & screw that were never installed in my Triad from the factory.

A compression test in conjunction with  a leak-down test will tell you a lot.  As you said, the Commands are prone to blowing head gaskets but the two tests will confirm.  The Command is a good engine but IMO no better than a Vanguard.  The older ones have weak ignition coils that are prone to fail.  They are also prone to warped heads causing blown head gaskets, plastic valve covers that will crack on the corners eventually & there are three different types of gaskets available for these covers depending which ones you have. I have not seen one yet that didn't leak oil around these covers unless sealant was used with the gasket but maybe others have.  If you ever have one with a blown head gasket, then take the heads in & have them machined flat again.  I just had .009" removed from each of mine with valves ground, seats & seals replaced.  It was $214.00 for that work.  $50.00 in parts & the rest machining & labor.  It runs now better than it ever has.

If this is something you can get for yourself with wiggle room for a thorough inspection & quality repair, then you have nothing to lose.  It will make you a good dependable machine for a very long time.

Edited by ShaunE