Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4040 / 9020 ?

LBS

Whats the diffrence between the 4040 and the 9020? which one is Bigger? Older? Faster? Better? (OK guys, get arguin!) Better for a landscaping buissiness? LBS

Hi, if I had a choice, I would pick either one. I know it sounds generalized. Either one of these tractors will suit your needs. If you are going to mow, the 9020 is better. In long grass it will pull the load better. for landscaping needs, either one will do the same job. The tiller on a 4040 will handle any job. What attatchments are you planning to run? A loader sounds in order, You can make them lift more. If you have a list of what you are going to run, there is help available.

Little difference really. Same frame and drive train. One exception is the 9020 (and AC 720) is "souped up". The motor short block is the same; the heads the same. But the 9020 has a different intake manifold and bigger carb. So they squeezed a little more HP (19.5 vs 16.5) at the top end when the tractor is at full throttle. The 9020 can "reach down for a little more" in very tough conditions such as heavy grass as Jonette pointed out. I have both - there is little actual differnce in performance ... biggest difference: frequency of fill up. I think the biggest "buy" factor for me would be condition and hours. A nice low hours 4040/4041/9020 that has been well treated is what to look for. One like the 4041 for sale in Ohio for example. Steve

Steve, did all 4040's have one pair of hydro lines coming up front? While replaceing my front axle bolts I saw there are are holes for 2 pair built in, did some come with a 2 spool hydro lever? Also, what does the carb linkage look like on a 4040???thanks..MPH

That helps, I'm 18 and want to get into the landscaping buisinness, so I would need a loader, tiller, mower and more smaller ones. I will use it hard as I'm one of those guys that doesn't just plant some lawn... I am quite partial to simplicities, I have 3 and my deisel NEVER runs out of power at 18.5 HP. I can go out in the woods and mow 1 inch trees almost like grass. I am planing on making my own loader, I dont like the ones i've seen so far. To cheep, I think I would wear it out (those plans look flimsy and full of potential cracks) anyway, thanks, Lawrence

Some but not all of the 4040's and AC 616's did have two spool valves. My 616 has both. Re the carb linkage is quite different on the 4040/616 vs the 9020/620/720. I don't have a picture available but it is a much simpler setup - seems to work ok.