Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B1 / model 19

simplewrench

I bought a very straight although incorrectly repainted B1 yesterday . The engine would move but not turn all the way over. I tore into it today and found several pieces of the rod in the oil pan. So not the easy fix I had hoped for I have a 725 Simplicity and I love the way the model 19 sounds and feels when it's running so I hate to repower it but that is what I will probably do. For now at least. OH and I got a 32" deck with as well first one I have seen up close for these  

image.jpeg

Edited by simplewrench
Added photo
  • Like 1

Very nice!

I think you'll find that with some persistence, you will be able to fine a decent used rod or whole 19 or 19-D engine for this unit.  A quality engine machine shop can weld & regrind the crank & hone the rod to match.  I had this done with a 19 years ago.  My tractor isn't doing any "work" anymore though.  I personally like the 32" deck better than the 42" & I think it's more difficult to find.  But please turn that steering wheel around! LOL!

Yeah I hope to eventually get a running 19 in it either this one or another this one is missing the coil as well so it needs a lot of expensive work. I just want to have it moving under its own power for now and I have a couple other engines around that should bolt in. Good call on the steering wheel. I tore into it right away so the pic is from the guy I bought it from that was a quick fix lol. 

19-D if I remember correctly uses an external coil (meaning NOT behind the flywheel) like the 23 & newer CI engines.  If you are thinking of a re-power with a bigger HP Briggs, You will have to lose the two bar stock shims & cut a hole in the belly of the frame for the blower housing.  That's why I'd stick to the 19 or 19-D.

Check this out.  From a Club Member...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Briggs-Stratton-Engines-Simplicity-Allis-Chalmers-Auction-4-of-6/202042447395?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D47043%26meid%3D490c8ff0a1f64eab9e4bb76f2fc7f332%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D182651286061&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ae342f5a0-9273-11e7-a932-74dbd180525a%7Cparentrq%3A539ad20515e0aa1202ca45ecfff5845e%7Ciid%3A1

Edited by ShaunE

Thanks for the info on the repower. I don't really want to hack up the belly. That eBay engine would be perfect unfortunately I live in Illinois and it is in New York and says no shipping local pickup. 

Check out uship (https://www.uship.com/ ) 

Sellers don't want the hassle of packing items to meet UPS or USPS requirements.  But there are folks who travel around and look for stuff to carry to defer their travel costs.  They don't have rigid packing instructions and will pick it up and deliver it to you.

Edited by wwbragg
expand
  • Like 1

I got an estimate from uship the average for an item like the model 19 Briggs For sale in Hyde Park N.Y. shipped to Il. is around $210. So it doesn't look like that is going to work out the seller is selling due to health issues and can't package and ship so I will have to wait until one comes along closer to home, but thanks again for the good suggestions.

I checked c.l. On the way to see our grandaughrer and her parents in Pa. I found a running model 19 asked for an offer and he accepted $50. So I should have it up and running shortly after I get home. Hopefully anyway. 

• Like 1