Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4 wheel assist

JonetteP

Its not really front wheel assist but it is four wheel drive. Jordan[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=6097&mode=short&startwith=0']http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=6097&mode=short&startwith=0[/a]

hydro motors would be a idea as allis chalmers did this on the d-21 and 220 .ONLY A HANDFUL OF THESE WERE MADE AS THERE WERE 1OO MADE OF THE 220. ANOTHER idea would be to run a pump off the front of the engine shaft and have a clutch that you could engage off the pto that would run them mower deck.i am no engineer in no way but when it comes to ideas on tractors this one sticks out with me.ANOTHER way would be to have a drive shaft running off the engine with a gearbox of some kind with a clutch to engage like the mower deck would run or even off the hydra lever .agco918 chad e shafer

Thought about that at one time. Aside from starting with a hydrostatic drive and adding hydro motors to the front wheels, I concluded there was no practical way given the Simplicity tractor design. What are your ideas?

has anyone designed a 4 wheel assist for these tractors? If so how feasable was it. If not, is there a reason too? It is a novile idea to have front wheel assist. Lets go all out and get some ideas.

Yikes, these old Simplicitys really sound complex. I have designed a full, true 4 wheel drive on a Jacobsen 775. I intend to replace my entire front axle with a Peerless transaxle out of another 775, driven by a belt off my rear transaxle. I then intend to use the CV joints out of a 4wd 4 wheeler on the ends of the transaxle and fabricate new wheel spindles and heavier steering components. In theory, it works. And heck, if it doesnt, I'll just do what that guy did- tandem rear ends with dual wheels.

Hi Dutch, My idea was to use to hydraulic motors to power the unit. One on each wheel. I am not familiar with the power distribution of hydrqulics anymore. I imagined one motor on each wheel with a chain drive. Most importantly, I imagined a farm lug tire on each wheel to assist in going up steep grades and pulling a pile of wood. Neal