Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

NEW Grader Blade – Survey

Dutch

Dutch, I am very interested. Tiny's suggestions would be great but just a simple replica of the original design would make me happy. Maybe a kit form consisting of 1 hitch and 1 each of the blades. Either way, count me in. Thanks, MadMike

WHAT IF THE BLADE WAS A RAKE, UNTIL REVERSED, THEN A GRADER. MY THOUGHTS, AS I'M VERY INTERESTED. IF THE GROUND EVER DRIES I HAVE A LOT OF 'SCAPING TO DO. JOHN

Dutch, not a putdown of the plan. MPH, add 160 bucks to you UPS...Doesn't seem possible to get used to that...MadManX

Dutch: I took the approx. estimate of $200.00 to include the hitch, right? If so, I would be interested at that price, but as John P. said, it would seem simplest to make it REVERSIBLE, and (ding!) would this be the first of its kind? Could you PATENT it? If not reversible, I like Tiny's idea of a sheath/moldboard over the teeth, but I would be interested in the straight grader at $200.00. I just think John's idea is too easy not to explore, i.e., reversing the blade. Thanks, Peter

I saw a Ford tractor on the beach using a toothed blade for seaweed clean-up. The sand would go through the teeth allowing the seaweed to be gathered without taking all the sand with it. The guy then drove off the beach and slid a piece of curved stock (to match the curve of the toothed blade)up under an upside-down U-shaped lip and then just had to pin it at 2 points to hold it on. He then pushed sand from the parking lot back to the beach. The foward force of the sand he was pushing kept the flat stock mated to the scraper blade and it pushed fine. I would think this could be done with this application also. I would like one in Simplicity orange for my Landlord 101. Thank-you.

Looks like a Caterpillar Maintainer wear plate. I have used one of those to make a Simplicity grader before(in desperation). Turned out good, though I don't care to do it again. The scarifier blade might be a bit too much stress on the front axle assembly on a tractor though. I hope lboy1971 is right on the Deere blades being so high, I have one on Ebay right now. Curious to see where it tops out at.

Sam, After seeing this it should top $1000 easy! MadManX[A href='http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1086747682']http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1086747682[/a]

jeez dutch- didn't mean to start all this off, but it may be for the better good. I was the winning bidder for the grader blade on eBay, and i DID bid on the sickle bar - was beat out by about $15 too (although i don't know the proxy amount). I thought both attachments were in great shape and both were good deals -espcially the sickle bar Interesting though that the price you're talking about is close to my winning bid, which caused the original discussion. If you go ahead with this, and it's made backward-compatable (boy do I spend too much time on my computer) with the original, I'd be interested in a serrated blade.

Okay, here’s the latest update. If you notice the image I initially posted, the “teeth” are about 2/3 the height of the blade. This would preclude making a “convertible” blade. After reading your comments I contacted the manufacturer several more times. The GOOD NEWS is the serrations can be cut to customer spec. They will send me a template, and after I specify what is desired, they will run it through their engineering department. I figure if the serrations are 1/3 the height of the blade, there will be room to mount the hitch in the center thereby affording “convertibility” by removing 2 hitch bolts and flipping the blade over. The QUESTION is, by moving the mounting holes to the center of the blade, will there be enough “transport clearance?” I will have to mount my OEM blade and test different hitch positions (see below sketch). Now for the NOT SO GOOD NEWS. Cost for the custom made serrated blade will be higher than for a plain blade, but I won’t know how much higher until the specs are presented. At this point, estimated shipping costs for the blades are a killer. Plus, estimates I got from 4 different fabricators to make the hitch are all within 20% of each other. Final numbers aren’t in yet, but it looks like to keep the blade and hitch package price in the $200 dollar range, a minimum order of 25 blades and 25 hitches will have to be placed. I’m certain these blades will sell, but I’m not sure how many thousand dollars I want to invest in a product that will only fit Allis/Simplicity tractors. Therefore, I’m now considering ordering 25 blades and offering them separately. If I have 25 hitches made, they will be a universal sleeve type hitch that will fit any garden tractor. Apparently people are paying $200 plus shipping for a plain Sears blade that is only a 3/16” thick. A heavy ½” convertible serrated blade should appeal to JD, Cub, Wheelhorse, and other GT owners. For those who want the hitch for an Allis/Simplicity belly blade, I will offer the dimensions so the blade buyer can make their own, or have one made locally. Or, I can have one made. The cost will be only slightly higher (20%) than if I had 25 made at one time. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/old-new.jpg

Just a few personal comments: JimmyQ Simplicity orange? Yeh, Right! Check out the above comments by lboy1971 and woodydel. If I paint them at all, it will be JD green with a JD yellow hitch. Those guys are High-Rollers who pay hundreds for paper. Tiny $159.99? How about this? Buy two, paint one JD green, sell it for double, and get yours FREE. Sam This blade stock is the same as used on Caterpillars. The factory was having a difficult time understanding I’m talking about a garden tractor. Peter Yup, I could probably go for a patent. After I pay the lawyers, the price would probably double. Then I’d start worrying about the 20 year deal. Then I’d probably have to sue someone for infringing. Nope, just think I’ll do my thing and have some fun.

Dutch, I'd be interested in one, but I can't afford the green paint... I still think it must sell for about $1000 a gallon or something. How about a "generic" black that would match any color of tractor? If you could do one of those for around $200 then I'm game.... Kent

While visiting my equipment dealer, I browsed through some catalogs and found a blade supplier. I contacted the manufacturer and learned they can supply a blade with specifications identical to the OEM grader blades sold by Allis/Simplicity (1/2” thick x 8” high x 42” wide high-carbon steel). These blades would require a custom production run with the manufacturer custom drilling the hitch mounting holes. I also found a metal shop that will fabricate a hitch identical to the Allis/Simplicity specs. If there is a sufficient market, the complete blade could be produced in quantity and probably sold for around $200. Is there any interest in new grader blades? ************************* The blade manufacturer can also produce a serrated blade. Such a blade could be used as a heavy duty rake or medium duty scarifier. Any interest in a serrated blade?

Herb, that serrated one looks like what I need for snowpack removal. shipping verses actual need dampens my interest though. Heavy chunk of iron in them guys. Good find.MPH

I wonder if that would shoot to hell the ebay market for grader blades? Hey, the JD grader blades for 110's etc... are running about 4-500.

WHERE WOULD THIS SHIP FROM. IF IT WRE REASONABLE (N/E OHIO)I SURE WOULD BE INTERESTED IN BOTH BLADE AND RAKE. JOHNP

John, Please understand, this is just a thought for now. If I get to the point where I have these blades, they would ship from New Jersey 08234. Estimated shipping weight around 75 lbs. A rough estimate to Ohio 44278 would probably be under $35 via UPS. Here's a link to the UPS rate calculator.[A href='http://wwwapps.ups.com/servlet/QCCServlet?iso_language=en&iso_country=US']http://wwwapps.ups.com/servlet/QCCServlet?iso_language=en&iso_country=US[/a]

If this is a custom made unit why not suggest a way to combine the two. The serrated edge is a perfect idea for some applications, but a bolt-on front moldboard and wear bar would be ideal. You wouldn't need to find storage for 2 big and bulky tools. If those teeth are wide enough you can drill some holes through it and bolt your own front blade and wear bar on if they don't figure it out. While they're at it have them figure out a way to hitch it to the tractor for down force. As I understand it the angle of the blade helps immensely in some circumstances. Make it adjustable for different applications? I know there has been alot of talk on here about somebody re-making these things. I think if whoever it was that made them incorporated some of these different features into them they may have a hit. I'll be the first in line at $159.99.

Dutch you can put me down for a hitch and blade for a 7100 how many do you need for a production run Maynard aka/UCD

Speaking of lawyers, watch yourself Herb! From my viewpoint north of the border, it appears US lawyers are willing to take on any case for anyone who does something stupid and blames anyone but themselves. It seems to relate to the contingency fee arrangements where the lawyer participates only in the "winnings". You may need insurance or some way of ensuring that by being a good guy and providing something a lot of people want, you don't become the "manufacturer" or otherwise become liable for misuse, breakage etc. I don't want to discourage, but would hate to see you suffer from others' actions. Maybe find out how Jonny Bucket protects himself. Peter

Peter, You're wrong about US lawyers! Most will take on ANY case where they can make money. Clients can be stupid, smart, ugly, beautiful, rich, poor, good, bad, right, wrong ....... there are no limitations. Good advice though.......... Thanks.

Hey Dutch, I am glad I got you thinking with my idea, or one you may have had earlier. Best of luck. Please add an additional item for trenching small waterways. About a 2" blade would do it. Take humor in my response! Neal

Dutch: I agree--s**** the lawyers! LoL. And I think your production run of "blades only" makes sense. I would not have a problem paying 20% extra for a Simp.-specific hitch. I want this to work out, so we can move on to other attachments, after I get my grader/scarifier!

I too would like one in orange for my 3310 V. I'm sure there's a way to get downpressure from the electric lift as I can get the front end clear with the dozer blade.