Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Decisions decisions

simplewrench

Well I am torn. I picked up a pretty decent 916 awhile back with a good 48" deck and broken rod. Yesterday I traded a smaller trailer for a 2180 cub cadet with a very good running 18 h.p. Briggs twin. My dilemma is that the cub only needs a deck belt to make it a good mowing tractor. It is rusty but just surface rust. I just have a problem parting out a viable tractor even a somewhat crappy MTD cub. Especially when I know I can get more for it than I wanted for the trailer then I could just wait for another engine doaner. Just curious what others might think. Thanks

49 minutes ago, oldsarge said:

You can't make a "good mower" out of a CC!   Can't be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said. dOd

My thoughts would be how easy it is to install said engine in the 916? If it requires a special adapter or lots of fabrication work such as hacking the frame I'd put a belt on the CC, clean it up and sell it. Then look for a more suitable repower. If it's an easily swapped plant do it and there is probably someone needing parts out there. 

• Like 1

I appreciate the good input it all sounds exactly like what's been rattling around in my head lol. And just to be clear I said viable tractor not good lol. 

Yes I bought a new cub 2140 in 1994. Really liked the tractor but the deck sucked. I put a belt on the 2180 and it doesn't now too badly but again really like the tractor. Maybe I can figure out a way to mount a simplicity deck on the 2180. 

• 2 months later...

Well I was going to do some late fall mowing with the cub 2180 and the electric clutch for the deck wouldn’t engage. So my decision was made. B6DB7339-7B8B-4381-97A1-4DFE2DE127B7.thumb.jpeg.a4b4049bb709942279a7441a482c9e11.jpegThe process has begun an 18 hp vanguard will be the new power plant. I was hoping to figure out where Zippo got the plate he used in his 7117 repower YouTube video but I am trying to use the mounting plate from the frame of the Cub. It’s a little short in height so I need to build it up a bit more. Not a lot of time to spend just now but it will come eventually. 

• Like 2

Good decision.  CC are good donor tractors since MTD took over

I have three CC 2000 series with CH18s waiting to be parted out so I put engines into Allis tractors

Edited by Alltractoredup
  • Like 1

Seems like my big challenge is going to be the connection between the drive shaft and the motor. I can weld up what I need for the height but I am not a machinist. 

7 hours ago, simplewrench said:

I was hoping to figure out where Zippo got the plate he used in his 7117 repower YouTube video ...

I believe the mounting plate used in the Sovereign Triad engine application is what most folks use if they can find one.  It provides about 7/8" lift. 

Colin documented his Vanguard install in this post:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/35725-repowering-a-7117-one-solution/

A search should provide other member installs.

Thanks Phandan. Lots of good info. I have been having difficulty getting results in my searches on simple tractors. 

I installed an 18hp Vanguard from SEW into a 7117.  It came with a mounting plate and a drive shaft adapter to the Simplicity rubber coupling on the drive shaft.  I replaced the ignition switch and installed new throttle and choke cables.  I cut a small notch on the left side of the frame to use an oil filter.  It worked out very well.  

Tom W

• Like 1

i did email small engine warehouse to see if I could buy just the flywheel adapter/coupler the response I got was that the did not sell it outside of a kit with an engine from them. Even though I did eventually find on eBay where they had in fact sold them in the past. Oh well I will figure something out either the stub shaft and u joint or go to my neighbor that has a machine shop. Again like most of us my time is limited right now so hard to say how long this step will take. 

Well I cut the mounting plate out of the Cub Cadet to use in the 916. It is just a bit short of the inch I need to gain so I cut and drilled some strap iron pieces to go to the holes in the frame of the tractor. B2F2AC82-1396-4161-8BAD-03FCFF9636A7.thumb.jpeg.9cef47dc02630c8e9529c40ecb56d4ef.jpegonce I get my drive shaft coupler I can mount the plate to the engine and the straps to the tractor slide it where I need it line it all up tack it in place then weld it up good and away we go, but as you can see I have to go throw the ball for my dog now though lol. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well the next step in the Vanguard swap has arrived. My neighbor with a machine shop asked me to work on his atv and in exchange he made me this fine adapter drive 8F1AAD85-51D6-41F5-B11A-2D92552AF1FE.thumb.jpeg.c02b434f062b8638b0c4ed75ca1555ff.jpegI had him shorten the shaft from the cub cadet machine the end down and weld a Simplicity end on. Should be a love connection. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looks good but I think you may have to add a plastic disc or something for a shear point like on other tractors, maybe someone else can chime in...

Hello, When I re powered my sovereign  with a Briggs vanguard, It came with a stub shaft  on the flywheel side  , so I used a u-joint  , cut the drive shaft and cut a keyway  on it. the u-joint  had 3\4 on one side and 1 inch on the other .

Thanks Ken in Mi

16hpbriggs1.jpg.1933bed29d5bfc37837a36317152b584.jpg

driveshaft1.jpg.022774e88ee13b9210e8e89577e2bd3e.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/26/2018 at 8:34 PM, maxwood said:

Hello, When I re powered my sovereign  with a Briggs vanguard, It came with a stub shaft  on the flywheel side  , so I used a u-joint  , cut the drive shaft and cut a keyway  on it. the u-joint  had 3\4 on one side and 1 inch on the other .

Thanks Ken in Mi

16hpbriggs1.jpg.1933bed29d5bfc37837a36317152b584.jpg

driveshaft1.jpg.022774e88ee13b9210e8e89577e2bd3e.jpg

Very nice...great idea.

• Like 1

Thank You, it worked out great too since he wanted me to look at his atv. We swapped labor and it didn’t cost me a penny, it’s a good thing to get along with talented people. I like the cub cadet end too it has a series of rubber cylinders around the inside to take up the vibration and the shaft is lighter than the old one but still thicker. I am excited to get at it when I get the time.