Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Can anyone tell me what the plug and wire is in the bottom of this carb bowl?

MARK (LI)

Emissions. When you turn the key off, that solenoid pushes a plunger up and plugs the main jet to kill the engine immediately, and not let it suck in raw fuel.

did the new carb have a different plug in it?  the engine will run with out the solenoid. it is only used to prevent backfires on shutdown by closing off the main jet  as stated above. if you put a normal plug in in place of the solenoid it will work just fine.

9 hours ago, MARK (LI) said:

That plug has a function...engine won't run without it

Nah, runs just fine without it. The only thing you need to do is idle the tractor down for 30 seconds or so before turning the key off or else you get a big boom! Mines been disconnected for 5 or 6 years now and tractor runs just fine.

• Like 1

Came to find out that the original carburetor number has been "superseded" twice and the original is no longer available ......I think it is reasonable that if it has been superseded that it would still be a direct match up with other new features not effecting the replacement.....  kind of disappointing because I had actually gotten all the numbers off the engine  and  got the carb number directly  from B&S.and was not told of any superseding or possible differences.....just seems to me that for what a Simplicity costs, that the parts should be still available .....the tractor is 20 years old, but I had a JD with a Kohler that was a lot older and was able to get the parts I needed without any problem...sincere thanks for the help and information    Mark