Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

To repaint or leave original

gretsch

Now that I have 4 lawn / garden tractors, my wife insists I scale down my herd. My question to fellow members is whether a 1977 Simplicity Sovereign with: cast-iron 6-speed tranny, 48 inch deck with original blades and belts, snow / dozer blade, moldboard plow, 2 sets of disks (all originally bought new with tractor), dealer pamphlets, receipts, price lists for attachments, and factory installed ag tires on rear, should be worth more in original condition or if repainted to restore to showroom finish. This tractor is my 1st older tractor and only had verifible 250 hours on it when I bought it. It now has 352 hours. I replaced drive and starter/generator belts (had become hardened and slick, seat cover, front tires (dry-rotted more than I cared for) when I first bought it. Rebuilt carb, replaced points, condenser, magneto, and eventually rings to cure occasional spark plug fouling. It does have some surface rust in places on it but nothing that even suggests that it is as old as it is. I am going to attempt to sell it in the near future, and really need others advice as to what is worth more: original finish or restored. All opinions greatly appreciated.

I think it would bring more money if painted, but not necessarily alot more. May be more work than it's worth to paint. Especially if you do a nice job and get new decals which aren't usually free. Just an opinion. Brent

I agree with BigSix. I would add this, painting and all the "aggravation" is fun IF you keep it and enjoy it. Otherwise,its a business venture and time is money not easily retrieved...MadManX

Right on Peter. Been there before. I've decided if I buy another anything to re-sell it will be as-is because the time and effort spent on restoration or at least making it "look good" is not worth what little value it adds to the piece. Anything to add SmilinSam? I know you've been here before too. Brent

While this would be easier with pictures, I agree w/ Brent. It might be worth more painted, but probably not enough to justify repainting, IMHO, particularly as it's your tractor's condition is so good it sounds like it's similar to the "survivor Corvettes," i.e., very good, unretouched originals., whose paint tells the story of the care received, rather than hides it as new paint does--if you're lucky! Perhaps it would help if you asked yourself this: "How much extra money would I charge the buyer if, after paying me in full for the tractor (at the price you want) he/she said "Now I'll pay you to paint it--how much?" Consider just the degreasing, disassembly, (don't lose it!), "it's all over my garage for six weeks" time...." $100.00? $300.00? More hundred? Now, subtract paint, ( decals--maybe $70.00?) primer, solvents, sandpaper, compressor time, masks, tape, heat, etc.... (On this last, the fuel I spent on my "jet engine" garage heater, repainting the rusted roof of my pickup, added up to way more than the supplies I used.) Now subtract whatever your time's worth, as you sand, and wire wheel, and feather, and mask, and clean, and prime, and resand, reclean, and spray, and clean the gun, your nose, etc.... What single digit figure would you be able to charge for your hourly rate? Now add in the aggravation of missing time watching Sopranos, being denied by the wife, reading Kent's wonderful website, or however else you would choose to spend your time. Man, I don't know about you, but after this little exercise right here, I'll be lucky if I so much as paint a picture in my mind again, anytime soon. I'd be curious, if you (or anyone?) are interested in assigning values to these factors, or others I've overlooked, to see what the final "cost" would be to get you to feel fiscally justified in painting a very solid "survivor" tractor. Peter

paint it if you have all the literature and books and keep it.these tractors are to hard to find attachments and with all you have keep it make it showroom condition and see one or two of your other tractors.if you paint it all your work will pay off in the long run.agco918 chad e shafer

Well Butch if you have had it awhile and did not paint it i would say it does not need it.Clean up the little rust,and leave the fun for the next guy.---Have a good one--RON B

I'm a firm believer in repainting, but in this case I would agree with the other side and say, leave the fun for the next owner. Besides, you can pass on the savings, and whoever buys it will feel they got a better deal. Not to mention the fact, that they may have a different idea on how they want it to look.......Good luck Art

Keep it and give the wife the story that I have always used. (I have 17 tractors) I work, don't hide money (not much-that is), come home where I belong, don't drink excessively, only converse with other women, and have been a good family man. That usually works, hope it might work for you. One exception though, If you have to build a shed or add-on to one you already have, that is where the "hide-a-little-money comes in. When I go buy the materials and it doesn't come out of what they consider "our funds", not a problem. A "little deviancy" is ok... Good luck KEEPING IT. Seems you really don't want to let it go anyway..