Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

running engine pulls down throttle

jrmorrill

I've got a 243431 in my early B10. It runs well but whenever it's running at 3600rpm the engine is either vibrating enough or the governor is pulling on the throttle such that the RPMs creep down. Since I need 3600 RPM to get the best performance from the engine this is issue is rather annoying.

I've tried adjusting the throttle cable clamp, where it passes above the carb, to make max-throttle be tighter. However the engine still manages to pull down the throttle cable to the lower RPM.

Could the tension washers around the throttle lever be too loose and allowing the cable to be pulled?

Or, is there a governor adjustment I need to perform?

This engine replaced a seized 23D motor, so it's original to the tractor and I could have missed some sort of adjustment.

Thanks for the tips.

Jason

I had a similar experience with my Landlord, of about the same vintage. The problem with it was the throttle cables. There are a couple of spring washers in the throttle control that can get worn and the throttle will slowly back off while running. I tried several things to get more tension, but in the end I just took a very small bungee cord and hooked it to the throttle control and looped it around one of the hood bolts. Even with that I had to regularly look down and push it to wide open.

14 hours ago, dhoadley said:

I'm having the same trouble with my A/C 917. Where would those spring washers be located on that tractor? Anybody? Thanx, Dave

Inside the cowl, under the dash there is a lock nut that holds the throttle lever in place.  Just tighten the nut until you get more drag on the lever, the spring washers are there under the nut.

You may need to remove the gas tank to get access.