Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dave hitch

New here new simplicity 725

Dave hitch

So found a pile of mowers on FB classifieds local to me looked like all junk except I noticed an oldie covered in blackberry bushes. Went and looked turned out to be a simplicity 725 I believe 1962? Dunno where the serial numbers are? Anyways dragged it home motor was free so I got a plug a starter belt a new fuel petcock line and a carb kit about 2 hrs of cleaning the rat crap out of it she runs doesn't smoke and is one her way. Next problem is it's stuck in gear I left the drive cushion out when I did the belt so it runs machine has a blade and rear pto for a tiller but that is missing I found a walk behind tiller w no motor for a 150 bucks I think the gear box is basically the same might be a good way to get the tiller AG tires and gear box parts. I read about the bent screwdriver trick this has hardly no play at the input to the trans but the axle side to side has a bit with all the old crap in there I think I'm just going to take the box apart and go though it? What are your thoughts on the tiller and the box thanks in advance oh n btw the same bush coughed up an old rupp mini bike got these and a pile of good lumber for $80 bucks I think I did good I attached a pic of the tiller I believe it's the correct one help me this thanks again 

Dave 

IMG_9364.JPG

IMG_9384.JPG

IMG_9366.JPG

IMG_9383.PNG

Edited by Dave hitch
  • Like 3

Talntedmrgreen

Welcome and congrats on the finds!  Great that you could save the old gal from rotting away.  I'm willing to bet that tiller may very well work behind the machine.  I believe that late walk behind style uses the same hitch and upper support rod as the tractor mounted variety.  I think you did real well dOd

• Like 1

B-16_IC

Welcome aboard!  Looks like you made a great buy. The walk behind is a model W, which is the same transmission  (with the shifter pointed back instead of forward ) as the rider. I think the tiller is basically the same but doesn't need the drag that hangs at the back of the shield. 

If you decide to go that route I may be interested in a few parts, I have two model W. ;)

• Like 2

Dave hitch
1 hour ago, B-16_IC said:

Welcome aboard!  Looks like you made a great buy. The walk behind is a model W, which is the same transmission  (with the shifter pointed back instead of forward ) as the rider. I think the tiller is basically the same but doesn't need the drag that hangs at the back of the shield. 

If you decide to go that route I may be interested in a few parts, I have two model W. ;)

Ok thanks I noticed the shift rod from the pics I don't even know if I need the gear box mine might be ok. As far as the box not sure what mine needs till I get it apart the tiller is for sale for a 150 figure with that trans and tires on it I should probably just buy it doesn't seem to be a lot of them here on the west coast also it's only about 45 miles from me. It more or less complete my tractor still thinking I would like to put a mower deck on it as well as that's really what I wanted in the first place 

what parts you need? 

thanks Dave 

Edited by Dave hitch

B-16_IC
14 hours ago, Dave hitch said:

what parts you need? 

thanks Dave 

I would be interested in the tiller parts you don't need.

I'd make them an offer,  150 is a bit high for engine less. Unless there is more that comes with it, the rear attachments that work on the W will also work on the 725, cultivator, plow, etc.

jimmystractor

Dave, welcome buddy. Beware though...in a year or two you may find that you have several 725's! 

I bought my first sovereign in August of 2016....now I currently own 5 of them and the first one got traded away a while ago. 

• Like 1

Dave hitch

Today's adventure took apart the trans the ball on the shift rod had popped out aoround the rear shift fork. Guess I could have done the bent screw driver trick except the top plug by the shift forks was missing that gave me concern about water getting inside. The box had no water in it just old grit a few dead spiders and a mile of puncher bugs time to clean it and reassemble it see if it drives 

IMG_9390.JPG

IMG_9391.JPG

Dave hitch

Yes kinda have a better grasp of how it works. Not gunna lie the differential on the right side axle was disgusting. The grease had turned to clay i probably spent 2hrs cleaning it all up then I lost track of how all the bits went. Luckily I found the exploded diagram of it and was able to get it back together. Took a lap in the dark around the yard as soon as it was going. I removed the drive coupler earlier between the motor and drive shaft to get it running that rubber is pretty worn around the steel bushing anyone make a new one of those? 

Thanks Dave 

simplewrench

Best thing to do is look for a set of fiber discs like the new tractors had. You will have to loosen the set screw on the drive shaft coupler to lengthen its reach but there is no way to remanufacture the old ones. I have considered using a hole saw and cutting the correct size circle from a tire sidewalk to try but so far I have had spare fiber discs around when replacing the old style connectors. 

Dave hitch

Today's adventure was to free up the rear pto. It was rusted n locked up the tensioner  bracket with the spring on it was bent. Had to use the 20 ton press and a torch to get it apart blasted all the rust off re welded the bracket that attached to the hitch all is good now. Everything works on it so I took it for a spin and pushed some gravel with it.

Guess all I really need is a mower deck and the mid PTO as I have an acre of lawn to mow any help locating one would be appreciated 

Thanks Dave 

IMG_9393.JPG

• Like 1