Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jlasater

9020 Onan starter issue

jlasater

So the starter on my 9020 spins fine, but the bendix/gear doesn't always engage the starter shaft, so the starter spins and the gear engages the flywheel, but the gear doesn't spin. I pulled the engine, and then starter. I cleaned out the solenoid, dry-lubed the plunger, and oiled the bendix assembly and "snout" bushing and spun them and moved them in and out by hand. After putting it back on the engine and bench testing it under load, 38 out of 40 test spins (cranking the engine with spark plugs in) worked perfectly. Previously it was about 1 out of 5 starts would work properly.

Before I call it good, is there anything else that I should do to the bendix assembly, or is that about it? I'm going to run a ground cable directly to one of the starter mounting bolts for better conductivity.

Edited by jlasater

720nut

Have you checked the starter circuit on your tractor ? wires may be part of your problem.

If Bendix is clean and lubed about all I know that can be done short of a new one which to my knowledge are NLA

jlasater

Long time in finishing this project.

I have no idea how the engine didn't seriously overheat when I was using the tiller last summer. The left cylinder was completely plugged with oily dirt and debris. These Onan's are pretty tough.

onan_1.jpg

Closeup:

onan_2.jpg

Getting better. By the time I was done a couple hours later, the engine looked good.

onan_3.jpg

I oiled the Bendix well, spun the starter a few times to sling the oil and gunk out, and oiled it again. Then bolted to the engine, it didn't engage a couple times, but then worked perfectly. I went out once a day for a week and would hit the starter about 20 times and it never missed (so probably 100 spins). Just now dropped the engine back in and the tractor is back to its happy self.

Edited by jlasater

720nut

It seems I was wrong on the starters a guy I know in Chelsea Mi. claims to be able to get new ones , says there are 3 different starters for these engines.

I haven't checked it out yet, I have a good supply of starters for now.